The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) seeks qualified applicants for positions as Research Associates for projects on agriculture, education, environment, finance, health, labor, urban issues and governance in locations around the world. The positions offer an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. These positions are located primarily in developing countries around the world and the principal investigators are J-PAL affiliated professors.
Title of Post
Attitudes associated with gender potentially have a large role in addressing discrimination. Breakthrough, a human rights organization, developed a comprehensive and innovative gender attitude change program targeting adolescent female and male students. Breakthrough implemented the two-and-a-half-year pilot program between 2014 and 2016 for students from grades 7-10 in 150 government schools across four districts of Haryana.
In order to assess the impact of this intervention, J-PAL South Asia is conducting a randomized evaluation in 314 schools across Sonepat, Panipat, Rohtak and Jhajjar districts in Haryana (150 schools in which Breakthrough ran the program and 164 schools where it did not). The first endline for the study was completed in 2016, which showed encouraging results. The second endline was completed in June 2019, and is designed to assess whether the positive results persist over time and translate into changes in objective behaviour.
The project will continue to track long-term effects of the intervention, and is currently seeking a Research Associate to support the implementation of the next tracking exercise, a precursor to the third endline survey.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Economics, Statistics, or related fields
- Excellent management and organisational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English and Hindi
- Flexible, self-motivated, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player
- Experience cleaning and managing data and performing basic analysis in STATA
- Experience digitizing survey instruments on Survey CTO
- Experience living or working in a developing country
- Ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organisations
- Knowledge of data analysis software (ideally Stata)
- Familiarity with impact evaluations and randomised controlled trials
- Willingness to travel extensively to rural or peri-urban areas is essential
- Proficiency in Hindi
- Experience overseeing large-scale projects
- Experience liaising with an external partner organization
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the [Research] job category, then select “[Research Associate, Breakthrough Project – J-PAL South Asia]” and include resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.