Applications are invited from eligible candidates for the post of Project Assistant – Plastic Waste Management (PWM) at UNDP, Bhubaneshwar.
The United Nations Development Programme is the global development network of the United Nations. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations and advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves.
About the Post
This initiative is designed to minimize negative impacts and risks to environment and to human health in India, by enhancing sustainable Plastic Waste Management practices, through a socio-technical model (segregation/collection/ recycling) while ensuring compliance with regulations, to improve use of resources and in line with Swacch Bharat Mission in India; in this project the waste pickers (Safaii Mitras) will be institutionalized with respective governance mechanisms and attain improved social conditions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as a focal point in the allotted city/region for UNDP. Liaison and network with various stake holders, both government and various nongovernment organizations, recyclers, Safai Saathis and other stakeholders during the execution of the projects in coordination with Implementing Partner (IP) and Enterprise Partner (EP), commonly referred to as Service Providers (SP). Ensure proper letters are issued for augmenting the collection of plastic waste as per the contract allotted to the service providers.
- Coordinating with Urban Local Body (ULB) Commissioners, Swachh Bharat team, Health Officers, Pollution Control Board officials etc. for center establishment, requisite clearances, facilities such as toilets, power, water etc.
- Getting endorsements from the ULB for the collected quantities on a monthly or quarterly basis.
- Organize capacity building, resource mobilization, build partnership and knowledge management programs and required trainings related to project activities for stakeholders in coordination with service provider, particularly oversight the book-keeping; accounts and having business model approach for sustainable operations.
- Facilitate through service provider enterprise development by creating self-help groups to empower Safai Saathis through social protection program and organize various IEC campaigns for the project.
- Carry out monthly reviews with SPs to ensure all activities / tasks / milestones detailed in the contract / agreement with the service provider have been completed and verified with documentary evidence.
- Supervise overall functioning of Swachhta Kendra adhering to all SoPs and operational guidelines. Ensure the required compliances are being adhered for the project.
- Perform periodic activities of Safaii sathi inclusion, training, external linkages to banks, insurances, and allied social protection activities and conduct periodic health camps for them and family in coordination with relevant Government departments;
- Perform frequent checks for safety, health, hygiene, and sanitation practices on the established centres including collection centres across the supply chain
- Support delivery of career guidance and counselling sessions and skill training for second generation of Safai Sathis family.
- Ensure partnerships with all types of bulk waste generators and other waste generators as detailed in the contract / agreement with the service provider
- Travel to the allotted cities for frequent field review (minimum one visit per month) as required in the project for verification and support to the SPs.
- Submit monthly validation and verification report along with progress for the designated cities.
- Perform any other tasks assigned from time to time by the project management team.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the organisation
Functional Competencies Knowledge Management and Learning
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop himself/herself professionally.
- Shares knowledge and experience with the team and other stakeholders.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Possesses knowledge and understanding of reporting tools and processes as well as of current theories and practices in the area of evaluation and knowledge management.
- Has the required competence to collect reliable, valid and accurate information in an obbjective way.
- Has the ability to work as part of a team.
- Proficiency in MS-Office, especially PowerPoint and Excel; understanding of Management Information System (MIS) would be an asset.
- Demonstrates an understanding of client / partner / donor perspective and strives for high quality client-oriented services
- Establishes smooth relationship and enabling environment between stakeholders.
Leadership and Management
- Is results driven and solution oriented, is able to work under pressure
- Ability to identify problems, propose solutions and take immediate corrective measures
Required Skills and Experience
- Essential: Bachelor’s degree in social science, business management, rural management, rural development, environment engineering with waste management or related area.
- Desirable: Master’s degree in the related subject .
- Experience: A minimum of 2 years of experience with minimum 1 year in waste management, preferably plastic waste management.
- Good analytical, communication, interpersonal and presentation skills on the impacts from project.
- IT/computing skills (minimum: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to prioritize assignments and requirements, and multitask as needed;
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to integrate technology into various aspects of the project for planning, rollout and monitoring
- Language Requirements: Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Hindi is essential. Regional language specific to the city/cities is also essential.
The remuneration package is INR 51,444/- per month (taxable).
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the post through this link.
May 31, 2021
For more details, click the link below.
More such opportunities that you might be interested in: