Applications are invited for the post of Programme Specialist – Ending Violence Against Women at UNDP, New Delhi.
UN Women is the UN Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts.
UN Women’s India Country Office, based in New Delhi, India, works to accelerate the advancement of gender equality and the empowerment of women through the strengthening of strategic partnerships, technical and policy advisory services and advocacy with governmental, inter-governmental and civil society partners.
In addition, UN Women India CO is charged with leading and coordinating the UN system’s work on gender equality, including through ensuring accountability for results.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of top quality advisory and programme development services;
- Management of the India Country Office (CO) programme and supervision of the Programme team;
- Inter-agency Coordination Support;
- Strategic partnerships and resource mobilization support;
- Advocacy support and Knowledge building and management.
Provision of quality advisory and programme development services:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country related to the thematic/sectorial areas assigned and preparation of substantive inputs to the UN Women country office programme planning in for EVAW;
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme interventions;
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectorial areas assigned;
- Design and formulation of programme initiatives within the area of responsibility, translating UN Women’s priorities into local interventions EVAW;
- Provision of programme advisory support to the Office Management within the thematic area/portfolio assigned.
Management of the CO Programme and supervision of the Programme team:
- Under the guidance and oversight of the deputy country rep, exercise overall responsibility for planning, implementation, management, and coordination aspects of the programmes/projects under his/her responsibility;
- Ensure effective application of RBM tools and monitoring achievement of results
- Manage the portfolio of on-going programmes/projects on EVAW through technical monitoring and administrative and financial supervision ensuring the proper application of a monitoring system to track progress on program results and indicators;
- Lead programme development and n implementation according to results-based management requirements;
- Coordinate and supervise the activities of programme staff, projects staff, experts and consultants working as part of the technical assistance team;
- Responsible for the timely preparation and quality control of all substantive technical reports, briefs and required documents;
- Ensure timely production and submission of all partial and/or progress reports by all members of the project team, contractors and project partners;
- Conduct field visits to supervise, coordinate and monitor field level activities of portfolio.
Inter-Agency Coordination Support:
- Provide substantive support to the Representative on inter-agency coordination related activities;
- Take part in country level Comprehensive Country Assessment (CCA)/UNDASDF processes and similar exercises related to the RC system ensuring that gender concerns are clearly reflected and mainstreamed in process;
- Prepare substantive inputs to CCA/ UNDASDF and other documents thoroughly analyzing and researching the political, social and economic situation in the region;
- Prepare analytical and regular progress reports on UN Womens’ program experiences in support of UN women inter-agency coordination role.
Strategic partnerships building and resource mobilization support:
- Implement the Office partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes within the areas assigned (EVAW);
- Create and coordinate partnerships with the relevant UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society, academia, etc.;
- Determine programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UN Women, country needs and donors’ priorities;
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing;
- Follow up on resource on mobilization activities for fund raising for new projects in coordination with the UN Women Deputy Representative.
Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge building and management:
- Support the establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linkages to international networks related to the sectorial/thematic areas assigned;
- Proactively and substantively support and implement relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners;
- Identify and synthesis best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals in the sectorial/thematic areas assigned;
- Proactively contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:
The post has an impact on the overall effectiveness and success of UN Women interventions and activities in the assigned sectorial/thematic areas, which impact in turn on the overall effectiveness of the UN Women programme in the CO. By helping ensure effective design, planning, implementation, and M&E of assigned sectorial/thematic areas, and building networks and helping mobilize resources for these areas, the incumbent enhances the organization’s capacity and credibility in implementation of highly effective programmes with strong impact.
Core Values/Guiding Principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects;
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change;
- Ability to build strong relationships with clients, focusing on impact and result for the client and responding positively to feedback;
- Model and promote transparency, honesty and openness;
- Lead teams effectively, demonstrating emotional intelligence and good judgment. Good mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrate understanding of client’s perspective;
- Demonstrate a respect for confidentiality when dealing with individual staff members issues.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Development, Gender, Human Rights, Applied Anthropology, or in other related Social Sciences.
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments, preferably in the field of gender and human rights of women.
- Prior experience of working in the region will be an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Working knowledge of Hindi will be an asset.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the post through this link.
Click here to view the official notification for the post of Programme Specialist at UNDP, New Delhi.
More such opportunities that you might be interested in: