IFC is seeking an (Associate) Operations Officer for Upstream with expertise in the Power sector. The selected candidate will join the Infrastructure and Natural Resources (INR) team in the Asia Pacific region. The INR team delivers financial and technical support to clients in the power, transport, telecoms, municipal & environmental infrastructure, gas and mining sectors.
The selected candidate will support the conceptualization, execution and supervision of bankable and investible operations through Upstream engagements, with a general focus on the power sector and a specific focus on regional power pools, under the supervision of the Regional Upstream Lead. S/he will also support policy work, regulatory analysis and other power-related interventions across the World Bank Group relevant to Upstream efforts.
- Master’s degree or equivalent professional qualification in Business, Finance, Economics, International Relations, Science, Engineering, or other relevant field.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in project and/or sector development, including feasibility studies, regulatory reform, hands-on PPP advisory and/or consulting functions in India in relation to private sector participation. Experience in at least one (1) other developing country is preferred.
- Genuine commitment to development and to the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy and values. Willingness to engage in sector and project development across various emerging markets.
- Understanding the fundamentals of the power sector and the regulatory environment relating thereto together with the ability to link policy reforms, advisory interventions, investment, and mobilization to deliver solutions at a country level.
- Understanding/experience in dealing with competitive electricity markets and their development.
- Hands-on understanding of IFC’s strategic priorities and changing business model to engage earlier in the project development cycle.
- With an emphasis on creating investment opportunities for IFC, support the identification, prioritization and assessment of Upstream opportunities that emerge from country and sector strategies and market intelligence work and business development work carried out by regional and global INR teams.
- Contribute to the conceptualization, development and supervision of Upstream projects, including various types of pre-investment work required to generate and enable IFC investments: sector diagnostics, market surveys, feasibility studies, scoping and evaluation of business models, and implementation plans, among others.
- Assist in designing and implementing scalable solutions and platforms/programs that can help generate multiple investment opportunities similar to “Scaling Solar” and that can be replicated across markets.
- Help spot game-changing trends, technologies and business models that can bring solutions to emerging markets.
- Produce regular reports on the assigned Upstream activities, including pipeline reports, status updates, and progress reports monitoring execution performance against project milestones and KPIs.