Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS India) invites job applications for Senior Social Scientist post at Bangalore location for the year 2020. WCS-India works to conserve wildlife and wildlands backed by science. We believe in the application of reliable science as a basis for all conservation action.
All our research projects are implemented by our staff scientists, research fellows, students and associates. While research guides our conservation practice, we believe in demonstrating ‘working models’ of conservation on ground through long-term commitment to protect threatened species at specific sites and landscapes.
- Post-graduate degree, preferably a Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Anthropology, Conservation Biology or allied disciplines, or equivalent work experience in a relevant field.
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in English and any one coastal language.
- Sensitivity in working with fishing communities and other stakeholders.
- Experience in drafting proposals, report writing or other forms of written communication such as academic or popular articles.
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate effectively as a member of a team.
- Knowledge of handling and analysing data basic data analysis tools such as Microsoft Excel, R, SPSS etc.
- Highly motivated with good understanding of the various issues and policies related to conservation and management of marine biodiversity.
- Experience in conducting outreach programs and workshops for relevant stakeholders is desirable.
- A valid Driving License is desirable.
- A willingness to travel alone as and when required.
- Providing technical and strategic inputs pertaining to social sciences components and implement relevant activities under the Marine Conservation Program.
- Developing and sustaining alliances with relevant stakeholders such as local communities, NGOs, State and Central Government agencies and other relevant institutions to realise project objectives.
- Liaising with State Forest, Fisheries and Tourism Departments, and the relevant Ministries to facilitate collaborative efforts, statutory clearance and compliances.
- Collecting and analysing data for field project and providing inputs on the planning and execution of project activities.
- Assisting, and occasionally leading activities towards sustaining long-term financial viability of the WCS-India Marine Conservation Program.
- Contributing to the development and preparation of manuscripts for WCS-India’s internal publications as well as peer-reviewed journals.
- Heading sub-teams of individuals working on social surveys, interventions, workshops and all other interactions under the Program.
- Aiding in the development and delivery of awareness/ capacity-building presentations to the academic community, government agencies, other stakeholders and existing or potential private sector donors as required.
How to apply?
To apply, please send together in one file cover letter and updated resume. While submitting your application, please use the position title “Senior Social Scientist-RIST-Marine Conservation Program” in subject line and send us on email@example.com. Last date to apply is May 30, 2020.