The Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune invites applications from meritorious candidates for the post of Scientific & Technical Officer.
The Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics is an autonomous institution set up by the University Grants Commission to promote nucleation and growth of active groups in astronomy and astrophysics in Indian universities.
The successful candidate is expected to lead IUCAA’s Science Popularization efforts. The candidate will be responsible for the development of Education and Public Outreach (EPO) materials and the organization of such programmes. The programs will be designed to engage
diverse communities in astronomy and astrophysics relevant to IUCAA.
- Supervise IUCAA staff and external contract staff in order to design and produce relevant EPO materials in consultation with IUCAA researchers.
- Engage with researchers at various universities, institutions and science outreach centres (museums, planetarium NGOs and amateur groups) in India in order to nucleate knowledge of astronomy and astrophysics in the adjoining areas to organise science popularisation events and ensure effective use of IUCAA’s EPO Programme.
- Represent the Public Outreach efforts of IUCAA and its projects at national and international events.
- Maintain IUCAA’s web pages and social media accounts on Public Outreach (IUCAA SciPop) and contribute to other public relations activities of IUCAA.
- Coordinate IUCAA’s outreach activities with those of the Astronomical Society of India (ASI).
- A Master’s degree or above in Astronomy and Astrophysics/ Physics/ Mathematics/ Science Education/ Communication from a recognised university is desirable.
- Experience leading the development, implementation, and evaluation of outreach products/ programs in any scientific discipline.
- Excellent English oratory skills and presentation skills required to convey scientific topics to both technical and no-technical audiences.
- Proficiency in the use of modern communication technology.
- Willingness to put in flexible work hours and workdays in order to meet the requirements for astronomy outreach.
- Willingness to travel as necessary (national/ international)
- Proficiency in the local language (Marathi) is desirable.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply online by clicking here. The last date to apply is July 7, 2021.
You might also be interested in: