IWMI is looking for a highly motivated researcher to support the implementation of and contribute to both these research projects. This would involve exploratory, qualitative research, relevant data collection and analysis, undertaking case studies, impact assessment, institutions and policy studies, action research, project management, stakeholder consultations, and development of suitable business models related to promotion of solar irrigation technologies.
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) has been working on climate-smart and smallholder-friendly promotion of solar irrigation technologies since 2011-12. IWMI India is currently engaged in two projects linked with solar irrigation: the GIZ-supported project titled, “Solar irrigation expansion in India: Opportunities and challenges in co-management of Energy, Water, Agriculture and Climate” (GIZ-Solar-IN) and the SDC-supported regional project titled, “Solar Irrigation for Agriculture Resilience in South Asia” (SoLAR-SA).
- Masters / PhD in water resources / rural management/agriculture / renewable energy/economics / natural resource management / related field with at least 5 years of research/implementation experience, of which at least 2 years should be in renewable energy sector, preferably related to solar-powered irrigation.
- A clear understanding of development challenges, especially in relation to the water-energy-climate nexus, groundwater governance, agrarian livelihoods and security in India.
- Experience in field-based research, specifically energy and groundwater use in agriculture; and/or ability to apply knowledge from other natural resource fields to water management, institutions and governance.
- Sound qualitative and analytical skills, ability to synthesize and write persuasively.
- Ability and eagerness to undertake field-based research and action research.
- Proven track record of publications in relevant national and international journals.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Contribute to the conceptualization and development of ‘Solar Irrigation Knowledge Portal’.
- Lead / Co-author case studies on alternate solar irrigation promotion models.
- Support the implementation of solar irrigation scale pilot in Gujarat.
- Undertake assessment of Gujarat’s ‘Suryashakti Kisan Yojana’ and Government of India’s ‘Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthan Mahabhiyan’ (PM-KUSUM).
- Support groundwater studies for understanding and quantifying the impact of solarisation on groundwater regimes, pumping behaviour and resource sustainability.
- Engage with key stakeholders in project implementation, policy advocacy and dissemination of project outcomes to contribute to development goals.
- Support the GIZ-Solar-IN and SDC-SoLAR-IN research teams in delivering the promised research outputs and achieving the desired development outcomes.
- Contribute to the IWMI-Tata Program’s SPaRC (Solar Power as Remunerative Crop) and Solar Irrigation Service Providers (s-ISP) research and action research portfolios.
- Support in co-organizing IWMI / IWMI-Tata events, conferences and workshops.
- Integrate research findings into effective policy recommendations and disseminate information through relevant guidelines and policy briefs.
- Develop and/or contribute to new research proposals for external donor funding, including bilateral funding, in consultation with theme leaders.
- Author / co-author articles for peer-reviewed publication, in a timely manner, in accordance with IWMI’s policies and procedures for publication of research outputs.