Applications are invited from motivated and eligible Indian citizens for a position of Junior Research Fellow (JRF) in a BRNS funded research project entitled “Optical Monitoring of Variable Stars and Transients with a 14 inch Telescope” at the department of physics at Presidency University.
The successful applicant will work with the PI Dr. Kanan Datta or the Co-Is Dr. Ritaban Chatterjee, Dr. Saumyadip Samui and Dr. Suchetana Chatterjee.
M.Sc or equivalent in Physics or Astrophysics with at least 55% marks or equivalent CGPA. Students appearing for their M.Sc final year examinations are also eligible to appear for the interview, but the appointment will be strictly subjected to the degree requirements of the position.
Following qualifications are desirable:
- Qualifying the National Eligibility Test (JRF/LS)
- Previous coursework in astrophysics, research experience in a project related to astrophysics.
- Previous experience with computer programming.
The fellow will help setting up the proposed Telescope and need to work on data acquired by the proposed telescope as well obtained from other sources. In addition, the fellow will work on theoretical modeling and observational interpretation of timing/spectral/imaging data in multiple wavebands. Programing skills will be required for the project.
Duration of Project
Three years or duration of the project (subject to performance)
- Rs.31,000/- for 1st& 2nd year
- Rs.35,000/- from 3rd year (for SRF)
- In addition to the Salary, the appointed JRF is also entitled to House Rent Allowance (HRA) as per central government norms in the city/location where they are working and Medical Allowance (MA) as per university rules.
How to Attend?
The candidate must email i) their current CV with a cover letter ii) a 400-word write-up about their own research vision iii) name and email id or phone number of at least one referee, who can provide feedback on their academic background, to ( kanan.physics[at]presiuniv.ac.in and suchetana.physics[at]presiuniv.ac.in) latest by 5th June, 2020. The applicant will need to specify the names of two prospective advisors (PI or any of the Co-Is) in their application letter.
The candidate must bring with them:
- Application in plain paper addressed to the PI Dr. Kanan Kumar Datta, Department of Physics, Presidency University
- Hard copy of their CV with self attested copies of all relevant testimonials and
- Original mark sheets/grade cards for B.Sc and M.Sc.
Self-attested photocopies of the originals will also be accepted, subject to verification of the original, on a later date if the candidate is selected at the time of their interview. Interview in video conferencing mode can be arranged in case of exceptional circumstances, at the discretion of the interview panel.
Date and Venue of Interview: June 12th 2020, 11 AM. Department of Physics, Baker Building, Presidency University, 86/1 College Street, Kolkata 700073, WB, India.
Dr. Kanan Kumar Datta (PI), Dr. Suchetana Chatterjee (Co-I)
Email: kanan.physics[at]presiuniv.ac.in, suchetana.physics[at]presiuniv.ac.in
For further details, click here.