ICRISAT seeks applications for the post of Associate Scientist – Data Scientist to be based within the Systems Analysis for Climate Smart Agriculture (SACSA) team and to be based at ICRISAT Headquarters in India.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
- Compile and develop databases of soil, crop, climate, landuse data for different agri-environmental settings in India
- Co-develop systems computer simulations of actual and theoretical system using frameworks that include soil carbon (i.e. APSIM, DSSAT, Century, DNDC)
- Utilize biophysical modelling to analyze the links between soils, crops, management and environment in India,
- Interact with national and international collaborators to learn and then develop bespoke methods to simulate agri-environmental systems,
- Develop advanced analysis methods such as machine learning and data mining to analyse large data sets
- Review the relevant literature and consult with project partners to develop analysis scenarios for sustainable intensification,
- Propose innovative climate smart solution to the challenges faced by farmers and communities of the semi-arid and sub-humid tropics,
- Compiles draft reports on project progress for review and approval
- Act as a central point to coordinate the management of data and information in interaction with other research centers, Indian government departments and NGOs
- PhD in soil science, agronomy, data science, modelling, agricultural science or related field with 2 – 4 years of experience.
- Experience in use of simulation modelling tools for systems analysis
- Experience in collecting and statistically analyzing diverse data for systems research
- Detailed understanding of the interactions between soils, crops, climate, agricultural management and environment
- Demonstrated capacity to turn innovations into well-developed written and spoken English scientific output such as research articles and project reports
- Demonstrated implementation of programming skills such as R or Python
- Understanding of the impact of management soil processes, notably organic carbon turnover
- Understanding of the function of components of cropping systems/soil systems models such as APSIM, DSSAT, Century/Daycent, DNDC
- Demonstrated implementation of programming skills in C++ or VisualBasic.NET
- Good understanding of statistical analyses of crop modeling outputs and experience with statistical software packages would be an advantage
- Knowledge of challenges faced by farmers and rural communities of the semi-arid/sub-humid tropics
- Insight into the soil carbon cycle
This is a Locally Recruited Staff position for two years’ renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the post through this link.
Feb 14, 2021
For more details, click the link below.