The Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR) offers summer fellowships for two months to bright undergraduate and MSc students studying in India. This programme has proved to be popular and competitive; each year, about 2000 students from all over India apply for the ~80 fellowships awarded.
All the fellowships are supported by the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India. Students are placed with research groups at JNCASR or with scientists elsewhere in India. They are paid travel expenses and a monthly stipend of Rs.10,000/-. Selected students get the opportunity to participate in cutting-edge research, and several summer projects have led to publications in leading journals. Many of the summer students of past years have gone on to pursue graduate studies and a research career, at the JNCASR or at another leading university.
- Life Sciences
- Materials Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
Minimum Academic Requirements for JNCASR Summer Fellowships
- Students who have secured not less than 80% in Maths and Science subjects in their 10th and 12th standard or equivalent examinations, and not less than first class in graduation and post graduation (if applicable).
- Students presently studying in I and II year of B.Sc., I, II & III year of B.S., I, II & III year of B.E. /B.Tech., I year of M.Sc. and I-IV year of Integrated M.Sc. can apply for Life Sciences.
- Students presently studying in II & III year of B.Sc., II, III & IV year B.S., II, III & IV year of B.E/B.Tech., I year of M.Sc. and I-III year of Integrated M.Sc. can apply for Physical Sciences, Engineering Sciences and Mathematics.
- Students presently IV year of BS-MS, I year of M.Sc. and IV year of Int. M.Sc. can apply for Materials Sciences and Chemical Sciences.
The students selected under this programme are placed with scientists at the Centre or elsewhere in India, for 2 continuous months with a stipend of Rs. 10000 /- p.m.
How to apply
The application form is available here.
The filled in application form with attested documents should reach the address mentioned below:
The Academic Coordinator
Fellowships and Extension Programmes
Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research
Jakkur P.O., Bangalore – 560 064.
- Please ensure that your completed application includes:
- Two confidential reports sealed by the referee and with the referees’ signatures across the seals.
- Attested Xerox copies of relevant mark sheets etc.
- Students who have already completed this programme earlier need not apply.
- Your “Area of Research” on the left hand top corner of the mailing envelope.
- More application to this programme does not warrant selection.
Last date for downloading application form from website : 6 December 2019
Last date for receipt of completed application form : 13 December 2019
Selected candidates will be intimated by 28th February 2020 and the list will also be available on the link mentioned above.
For the official website, click here.