About the Scheme
In accordance with the National Policy of Education (1986), Government of India started Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas (JNVs) all over the country except the state of Tamil Nadu. These are co-educational, residential schools, fully financed by Government of India and run by an autonomous organization, Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti, under the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
Though admission to Navodaya Vidyalayas is at Class VI level, in order to optimally utilize infrastructure facilities available, vacant seats at Class IX level are filled through an All India level Admission Test. While education in the schools is free including board & lodging, uniform and textbooks, a sum of Rs. 600/- per month is collected from the students of Classes IX to XII only towards Vidyalaya Vikas Nidhi.
Students belonging to SC/ST categories, Girl students and the students whose family income is below the poverty line (BPL) are exempted. Rs.1500/- per student per month is collected from all students whose parents are Govt. Employees.
Objective of Scheme
- To provide good quality modern education including a strong component of culture, inculcation of values, awareness of the environment, adventure activities and physical education to the talented children from rural areas irrespective of their family’s socio-economic condition.
- To ensure that students attain a reasonable level of competency in three languages as envisaged in Three Language Formula.
- To serve in each district as a focal point for improvement of quality of school education in general through sharing of experiences and facilities.
- To promote national integration through migration of students from Hindi to non-Hindi speaking State and vice-versa.
- Only those candidates who are studying Class VIII during the Academic Session 2019-20 in one of the Govt./Govt. recognized schools of the district where the Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya is functioning and where admission is sought, are eligible.
- Candidate appearing for the admission test must qualify/ pass Class VIII in the academic session 2019-20 from a Govt./Govt. recognized school in the district where he/she is seeking admission.
- A candidate seeking admission must be born between 01.05.2004 and 30.04.2008 (both days inclusive). This is applicable to all categories of candidates including those who belong to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribe.
- Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti reserves the right to refer any candidate to a MEDICAL BOARD for confirmation of the age of the candidate, in case any doubt arises about the age on the basis of certificate produced by the candidate before confirmation of admission.
- Date of Examination – Saturday 8th February 2020.
- Duration – 2 ½ hours (10:00 AM to 12:30 PM). However, in respect of candidates with special needs (Divyang), additional time of 30 minutes will be provided, subject to the production of certificates from the competent authority
- Centre for examination shall be the JAWAHAR NAVODAYA VIDYALAYA of the district concerned/ any other centre allotted by NVS.
- The medium of Language for Examination will be English/Hindi.
- Students have to answer in OMR sheet
Selection Test will consist of questions from the subjects of Mathematics, General Science, English and Hindi. The difficulty level of the test paper shall be of Class VIII.
The test will be of objective type with 2 ½ hours duration without any break.
How to Apply?
- In order to optimally utilize the infrastructure and other facilities available in these Vidyalayas, it has been decided by the Samiti to fill the vacant seats in Class IX through an All India level Admission Test.
- Online applications may be submitted from 24th October 2019. The candidate may apply through www.nvsadmissionclassnine.in or www.navodaya.gov.in.
- The Last date to apply for Class-IX Lateral Entry test is 10th December 2019.