The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan offers scholarships to international students who wish to study at Japanese universities as Undergraduate Students under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program.
Number of Scholarships
Up to 15 (Those appx. 15 applicants who successfully pass the first screening will proceed to the worldwide final screening by MEXT.)
Fields of Study
(1) Social Sciences and Humanities
- Social Sciences and Humanities – A
- Japanese Language
- Others (excluding “1. Economics” and “2. Business Administration” in Humanities B.)
- Social Sciences and Humanities – B
- Business Administration
(2) Natural Sciences
- Natural Science – A
- Science (1. Mathematics 2. Physics 3. Chemistry)
- Electric and Electronic Studies (4. Electronics 5. Electrical Engineering 6. Information Engineering)
- Mechanical Studies (7. Mechanical Engineering 8. Naval Architecture)
- Civil Engineering and Architecture (9. Civil Engineering 10. Architecture 11. Environmental Engineering)
- Chemical Studies (12. Applied Chemistry 13. Chemical Engineering 14. Industrial Chemistry 15. Textile Engineering)
- Other Fields (16. Metallurgical Engineering 17. Mining Engineering 18. Maritime Engineering 19. Biotechnology)
- Natural Science – B
- Agricultural Studies (1. Agriculture 2. Agricultural Chemistry 3. Agricultural Engineering 4. Animal Science 5. Veterinary Medicine 6. Forestry 7. Food Science 8. Fisheries)
- Hygienic Studies (9. Pharmacy 10. Hygienics 11. Nursing)
- Science (12. Biology)
- Natural Sciences – C
- Undergraduate level leading to Bachelors Degree
- A minimum of 65% marks at 12th grade is required.
Term of Scholarship
A grantee who studies at a preparatory educational institution prior to enrolling in a university:
- From April 2022 to March 2027 (Including one-year preparatory intensive courses of the Japanese language and other subjects, which are necessary for the preparation to proceed to the university.)
- For a scholarship grantee majoring in a six-year course in pharmacy, the scholarship period will be seven years, until March 2028.
A grantee who enrolls directly in a university, without the preparatory intensive courses (direct placement):
- Four years (or six years for the one majoring in a six-year course in pharmacy). The scholarship period will start from the time of enrolment in the university, which the university designates.
Applicants, in principle, must be born on or after 2 April, 1997
117,000 yen (Approx. Rs.82,978) per month
Round-trip airfare will be provided.
Application Documents and Forms
Application documents are described in the guidelines.
- Application form
- Certificate of Health
- Sample Format of Recommendation Letter (Since board examination is postponed, a separate detailed recommendation letter [free format] from your current school shall be used to assess the candidates.)
- Direct Placement Preference Form * Only for applicants desiring direct placement.
Where to send the completed forms and Where to contact
(1)For students residing in West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand and Odisha
Consulate General of Japan in Kolkata
(2)For students residing in Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana
Consulate General of Japan in Chennai
No 12/1 Cenetoph Road, 1st Street, Teynampet, Chennai 600018
(3)For students residing in Chhattisgarh, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Daman & Diu, Goa, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra
Consulate of General of Japan in Mumbai
No.1, M.L.Dahanukar Marg, Cumballa Hill, Mumbai, 400026
(4)For students residing in Karnataka
Consulate of General of Japan in Bengaluru
1st Floor, Prestige Nebula, No.8-14, Cubbon Road, Bengaluru 560001
(5)For students residing in the remaining states and union territories
Embassy of Japan,
50-G, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021
Note that applications need to be sent by post or courier. They do NOT accept applications sent by Email.
- Application Deadline (must): 28 May 2021
- Application Screening: in June 2021
- Notification of Shortlisted Candidates for Written Test/Interview (on this page): in June 2021
- Written Examination: 17 July 2021
- Interview: To be announced
- Notification of the Results of the First Screening: Early August 2021
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Ms. Anshula)
For more details, click the link below.
More such opportunities that you might be interested in:
- Scholarships for Young Christians 2021 by Ministry of Science and Education, Croatia: Apply by May 17