Applications are invited from eligible candidates for the Japan International Award for Young Agricultural Researchers 2022.
About the Awards
This annual award, which began in 2007, is organized and presented by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF) of Japan and Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS).
Its purpose is to increase motivation among young researchers contributing to research and development in agriculture, forestry, fisheries, and related industries in developing regions, which is promoted by Japan for the benefit of those countries. Up to three young researchers who have shown
- outstanding performance in research and development in agriculture, forestry, fisheries, or related industries for a developing region, and who show great promise
- outstanding achievements in research and development that will lead to future technological innovation in agriculture, forestry, fisheries or related industries for a developing area, and who show great promise
will be invited to Japan to attend the awarding ceremony and accept their awards and cash gifts (US$5,000 will be given per awardee).
- Must be engaged in research and development in agriculture, forestry, fisheries and related industries in
developing regions, including the food industry sector and the field of environment
- Must be under the age of 40 (as of January 1, 2022)
- Must be researchers who have the nationality of a developing country and/or territory, and belong to a non-Japanese research institute or a non-Japanese university
- Must be able to attend the awarding ceremony in Japan, 2022.
- The method of holding the awarding ceremony will be decided after taking into consideration the coronavirus infection status.
Criteria of Selection
The Selection Committee will give consideration to the following perspectives in evaluating and judging the applicants’ performance and research achievements for this award:
- The research and development has shown abundant originality.
- Achievements in the research and development have been objectively evaluated, e.g., by being published in academic or technical journals.
- The research and development has shown consideration for the development of agriculture, forestry, fisheries or related industries in developing countries in terms of dissemination and commercialization.
- The research and development has shown potential for great development and for leading to future technological and methodological innovations, even when it might not be fully completed or not diffused enough at the present time.
How to Apply?
- Applications must be prepared according to the “Instructions in the Preparation of Application Forms” and submitted by the recommending research institute by post. Moreover, word-processed files of each form must be submitted by the recommending research institute via e-mail as they will be used for the preparation of a short-list.
- Only one researcher can be recommended from each institute, including its branches.
- If a research institute recommends two candidates or more, the Secretariat will ask the institute to choose one. If the research institute does not respond by the due date, all applications from that institute will be excluded.
- The application must include supporting materials that substantiate the candidate’s achievements, such as the applicant’s most important research papers (three items), technical handbooks, patent applications or utility models, newspaper articles etc., and the entire publication list directly related to the applicant’s research.
- Applications that are insufficient or incorrect will be excluded from the evaluation.
The application form is available here. Submit applications by post to:
Secretariat of the Japan International Award for Young Agricultural Researchers
Information and Public Relations Office
Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS)
1-1 Ohwashi, Tsukuba City, Ibaraki
- Due date for submission of application: February 28, 2022
- Determination of award winners: October 2022 (tentative)
- Date of Awarding Ceremony: November 2022 (tentative)