The Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Government of India invites applications for the Janaki Ammal National Women Bioscientist Award 2020.
The objective of the award is to recognize the outstanding contributions of women scientists in basic and applied research in the areas of Biosciences and Biotechnology including agricultural, biomedical, and environmental sciences with potential for application/ product and technology development.
Nature of Award
- National Women Bioscientist Award (Senior Category) (one): The National Women Bioscientist Award (Senior Category) is awarded to senior women scientists for lifetime contributions, who have done excellent research in the country and has applied the results for benefit of students and society. The award carries a cash prize of Rs 5.00 lakh along with a citation and a gold medal.
- National Women Bioscientist Award (Young Category) (Two): The National Women Bioscientists Award (Young Category) is given for outstanding contributions of women scientists below 45 years of age in basic and applied research in the areas of biosciences and biotechnology including agricultural, biomedical and environmental sciences with potential for application/ product and technology development. Contributions made during the last 5 years would be the main consideration. The award carries a cash prize of Rs 1.00 lakh with citation and a gold medal and Research Grant of Rs 5.00 lakh per annum for a period of 5 years.
- Any Citizen of India who is engaged in basic and applied research in the areas of biosciences and biotechnology in the country. The work for which nomination is made must have been carried out in Indian institutes and acknowledged in the publications.
- For Senior Category Award: Citizens of India should have made lifetime significant and outstanding contributions in research in the areas of Biosciences/ Biotechnology and has applied the results for the benefit of students and society and the work must have been done entirely in India.
- For Young Category Award: Citizens of India should have made significant and outstanding contribution in the areas of Biosciences/ Biotechnology during the last 5 years and the work must have been done entirely in India.
- The senior category award is for excellence in research (and not for governance/ promotion of Science) and not forage and thus there is no age limit. For the young category, the candidate should be below 45 years of age as on the closing date of nomination submission i.e. 30.09.2020.
Call for Nominations
Women scientists working in the area of biosciences/biotechnology can be nominated by members of the SAC(O), DBT; Vice-Chancellors of Universities/ Deemed Universities; Chairman, UGC; DGs of CSIR, ICAR, ICMR, DRDO; Directors of National Research Laboratories, etc;
Presidents of approved scientific societies and academies of All India Nature; Secretaries of S&T Departments/ Ministries such as DST, DBT, DSIR, MES, MOEF, Atomic Energy, Department of Space, New and Renewable Energy, Commerce, Industry, Health & Family Welfare and Human Resource Development and Advisor/ Member (Science) Niti Aayog.
Nomination from individuals sponsoring their own names will not be considered. To submit your nominations online, click here.
The last date to submit your nominations is September 30, 2020.
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
For full notification, click the link below.