Bright minds around the globe are invited to show their inventions at Jame Dyson Award 2021- International Design Competition by James Dyson Foundation.
About the Award
The James Dyson Award is an international design award that celebrates, encourages, and inspires the next generation of design engineers. It’s open to current and recent design engineering students and is run by the James Dyson Foundation, James Dyson’s charitable trust, as part of its mission to get young people excited about design engineering.
Wanted: Problem Solvers ( an invention that solves a problem)
- They are looking for designers who think differently, to create products that work better.
- Engineers who follow an iterative design process. The judges – and James Dyson especially – are drawn to designs that employ clever yet simple engineering principles and address clear problems.
- As well as proving your project’s technical viability,they would also love to see that it’s commercially viable, too – so include any research you’ve done into manufacturing costs and retail prices.
- This year the James Dyson will also looking for entries that address a sustainability issue, or have been designed, sourced, or manufactured sustainably.
The James Dyson Award is your chance to make a name for yourself as an inventor. As well as winning a significant cash prize, you could generate media exposure to kick-start your career, earn the esteem of your peers – and perhaps gain the confidence to launch your own business.
- National winner: ₹1,90,000
- International runners up: ₹4,90,000
- Sustainability winner: ₹29,00,000
- International winner:₹29,00,000 (and ₹4,90,000 for your university)
Who can Enter?
- Award is open to current university students of engineering, product design, and industrial design – and those who have graduated in these subjects in the last four years.
- If you don’t want to work alone, or if you studied something else but have a brilliant idea you want to share, you can still enter as part of a team. Your team leader must have studied one of the qualifying subjects, and all team members must be (or have been within the last four years) enrolled for at least one semester in an undergraduate or graduate program.
- We are also open to those completing degree-level apprenticeships, or those who have completed one in the past four years, in the field of engineering or design.
Documents for Proof
You need to provide official documentation that proves you are studying this subject (or have graduated in the last four years). This may include:
- A signed letter from your professor or dean
- Dated class schedules
- Grade reports
- Degree certificate
The evidence in PDF, MS Word and JPEG formats.
Stage1: A panel of local design and engineering professionals will select three entries from your country or region to progress to the next stage. One of these will be declared the National Winner, earning a cash prize.
Stage2: At this point, a panel of Dyson engineers pore over entries chosen by the national judges, whittling them down to just 20. They look at how well each entry answers the brief, keeping commercial viability in focus – is your product something that people will want, and you can manufacture at a reasonable price?
Stage 3: The final 20 entries are reviewed in detail by James Dyson himself. Selecting his favourites, they are then scrutinised by Dyson’s intellectual property team for any legal infringements (e.g. on third party patents). Armed with this information, James hand-selects the international winner, two runners-up and the sustainability winner.
- Entries open: March 17, 2021
- Entries close: June 30, 2021
- National winners and finalists announced: August 25, 2021
- Dyson engineers’ shortlist announced: October 13, 2021
- International winner and sustainability winner announced: November 17, 2021
How to Enter?
Interested candidates can submit their work through this link.
Click here to view the official notification for the James Dyson Award 2021 by James Dyson Foundation