Interested in applying to be a LEAP Fellow to accelerate education solutions? Applications are now open for the Jacobs Foundation and MIT Solve LEAP Challenge 2022.
About the LEAP Challenge
LEAP Fellows are education researchers and social entrepreneurs looking to support education organizations and advance evidence-based education solutions across the world.
Selected LEAP Fellows will attend a LEAPathon event where they will meet with newly-selected project host organizations, participate in mentorship and project refinement sessions, and be matched with a team of Fellows and a host organization. Fellows will collaborate with the organizations between 6 to 16 hours a week each for the duration of the sprint.
The 12-week project sprints will kick off in two waves: one wave will begin in October 2022 and another will begin in February 2023. Fellows will be assigned to a project in one of the two waves according to Fellow availability and project preference.
As a LEAP Fellow, you will have the opportunity to:
- Apply your field of study to high-impact social challenges and help strengthen evidence-based education solutions across the world;
- Network and collaborate with other LEAP Fellows, industry professionals, impact partners and leading development organizations;
- Gain professional visibility by working on critical, timely projects with leading global education innovators and enhance your CV;
- Supplement your income with interesting, meaningful projects and participate on a schedule that is flexible to you;
For the 2022 LEAP Challenge, we are seeking Fellows to support projects focused on improving the evidence base of a product, program, or business model helping to bridge learning gaps for underserved children ages 2-12.
They are seeking two distinct profiles for the LEAP Fellowship:
- Researchers: LEAP Research Fellows should have completed their PhD and have expertise in the learning and development field and have at least one year of post-degree experience as an active researcher in a related area.
- Social Entrepreneurs: LEAP Social Entrepreneur Fellows should have completed their Masters/MBA in Social Entrepreneurship, Social Impact, Social Innovation or a related field, or have held a leadership role in an entrepreneurial venture (for example, as a founder or co-founder). Applicants should have at least 3 years of professional experience and a strong interest or experience in the general learning and development field.
After an initial screening by Solve, a panel of subject area experts will score the screened applications and select finalists, who will be invited to attend an Interview Day Q&A session with the review panel.
For applicants who meet the eligibility requirements stated above, your application will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- Cross-sector collaboration: The applicant has a strong interest or experience in collaborating across sectors to create impact, one of LEAP’s core values.
- Advisory experience: The applicant has a strong interest or experience in advising organizations.
- Peer-to-peer learning: The applicant is committed to engaging with the wider LEAP cohort, learning from and sharing their knowledge with other LEAP Fellows, the Jacobs Foundation, MIT Solve, and the cohort of project hosts when appropriate throughout the Fellowship year.
- Motivation: The applicant has a clear idea of how participating in LEAP will benefit their professional and/or personal trajectory at this particular moment in time.
- Fellows are compensated for their work when staffed on a LEAP project. If accepted, we will confirm your payment amount in the acceptance letter.
- The Fellowship is a 12-month engagement, with higher and lower periods of activity depending on when the Fellow is staffed on a project (October – January or February – May). Fellows will only be staffed on one project.
- When staffed on a project, the time commitment is between 6-16 hours per week for approximately 12 weeks. When not staffed on a project, the time commitment is ~2 hours per month.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the program through this link.
- June 17, 2022: Application deadline
- Week of July 25, 2022: Applicants selected to interview will be notified
- August 1-3, 2022: Applicant Interviews
- Week of August 15, 2022: Selected Fellow Notifications
- August 31, 2022: Fellow Onboarding Session
- September 28, 29 & October 5: Virtual LEAPathon Event
- Mid-October 2022: Wave 1 of LEAP Project Sprints Begin (12 weeks)
- February 2023: Wave 2 of LEAP Project Sprints Begin (12 weeks)
- June 2023: LEAP Virtual Closing Event