The Internship Programme is conducted by the Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA) with the aim of promoting interest in Scientific Research among other Institutions/University/College students.
Candidates selected for this programme, will work on specific projects under the supervision the academic staff members of IIA. This programme runs throughout the academic year, except during May – July when IIA conducts Summer School Programmes.
Category of Students
I. Course projects:
Students who are in the final year of B.E/B.Tech/M.Sc/M.Phil/M.Tech can undertake their final year project work towards partial fulfillment of their degree course in IIA. The duration of such projects can be from 6 to 9 months.
II. Short-term projects: Students who are in the pre-final year of B.E/B.Tech/M.Sc/M.Tech or final year B.Sc. or within 6 months after the completion of their B.E/B.Tech/B.Sc/M.Sc/M.Tech, can undertake a short-term project at IIA. The duration of such project is from 6 weeks to 6 months only.
III. PhD students from other institutions:
Students who are doing their PhD in other Institutions/Universities/Colleges can visit IIA for collaborative work with IIA faculty. The total duration of this collaborative visit must not exceed 3 months in an academic year.
IV. INSPIRE/KVPY fellows:
Students with INSPIRE/KVPY fellowship can undertake short-term projects with IIA faculty. The duration of the project is from 6 weeks to 3 months only.
Students who have submitted their PhD within the last 6 months can visit IIA for a period not exceeding 6 months. They will be given stipend from IIA only if they are not getting funding from any other sources.
Consistently good academic record with more than 55% marks in Mathematics and Science from 10th standard onwards.
- Students under this programme are selected under the following two categories:
(A) Without Stipend & (B) With Stipend.
- Stipend of Rs. 10,000/ per month (pro-rated) given to students of category-B selected for internship at IIA Bangalore campus but no accommodation provided.
- The student selected for IIA field stations with category-B are given Rs. 5,000/ per month (pro- rated) and accommodation may be provided depending upon the availability.
- Return travel fare by second-class sleeper/bus from the place of residence/college to IIA at the time of joining given to students of both categories.
- Students of both categories are eligible for subsidized food in IIA canteens, access to library and computing facilities.
- Local students, who are permanent residents of Bangalore City:
College students, who wish to pursue the projects related to their degree courses, are not given any financial assistance.
Students who have completed their degree courses in recent past (within 6 months) are given stipend of Rs. 5000/- per month if they are working at IIA regularly, and in some deserving cases full stipend may be given if staying in PGs/hostels.
- Candidates who are INSPIRE/KVPY fellows/PhD students from other institutes and getting external funding/fellowship will not be given stipend and travel support.
How to apply
Apply online at this page.
Deadline to apply is July 10, 2018.
All queries related to projects at IIA (with or without support) be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.