Reserve Bank of India invites students who wish to pursue Ph.D in Economics, Banking, Finance or related fields, or those who wish to move to positions in government research institutions, or financial institutions that require a quantitative and analytic orientation to apply for the Research Internship scheme.
It will provide an opportunity to young individuals to expose themselves to cutting edge research in central banking.
Nature of Internship:
- Will assist and collaborate with RBI researchers on projects to provide policy inputs and papers targeted for publication at quality economics and finance journals.
- Will assist in compiling accurate and timely data and assist with the relevant analytical, statistical and econometric tools necessary to execute the research projects.
- May transition to writing research and policy articles of good quality.
The internship will be for a period of 6 (six) months extendable for another 6 (six) months based on the needs of the unit and the performance of the intern.
Placements would be in three departments of RBI namely
- Department of Economic and Policy Research (DEPR)
- Department of Statistics and Information Management (DSIM)
- Strategic Research Unit (SRU).
- For DSIM– Post Graduate in Statistics/Econometrics/Economics or BE/B.Tech (Computer) or MBA (Finance).
- For DEPR– Post Graduate in Economics, Banking, Finance or MBA (Finance).
- For SRU– B.Tech or B.E. or Post Graduate with quantitative- oriented degrees in Economics, Finance, or Statistical Science or those with expertise in Computer or Data Analytics. Programming skills or ability to acquire them are necessary.
- The opportunity will be open to domestic as well as foreign students.
- Candidates should be keenly interested in RBI’s core areas of research and also be able to derive benefit from working in these areas.
- Selections will be done twice a year depending on RBI’s requirements in a manner that the internship commences from 1st of January or 1st of July of the year concerned.
- Application window will remain open during first five months of the preceding half-year. To illustrate, applications for internships commencing from 1st of January onwards will be accepted during July-November of the previous year and will be examined in December of the previous year. Likewise application for internship commencing from 1st of July onwards will be accepted during January- May and will be examined in June of the same year.
- The applications of the candidates are valid only for the applied batch (i.e 1st January / 1st July) and the same will not be considered for the subsequent batch. Candidates who were not selected earlier, if interested, are requested to apply afresh when the application window for the next intended batch commences.
- Candidate will be shortlisted by the Bank based on their CV, References and Statement of Purpose and will be called for personal interview.
- Incomplete applications and applications without CV, References and/or Statement of Purpose are liable to be rejected.
- References may be obtained from the faculty members of the related colleges/institutions of the respective applicants.
- Interested candidates should send their CV, References and Statement of Purpose through e-mail to the email-id relevant to the desired Research Area/ Department given below.
Principal Advisor, Department of Economic and Policy Research
Reserve Bank of India, 7th Floor, Central Office Building,
Shahid Bhagat Singh Road, Mumbai-400 001.
Officer-in-Charge, Department of Statistics and Information Management
Reserve Bank of India, C-8/9, Bandra-Kurla Complex,
Bandra, Mumbai-400 051.
Specialist Adviser, Strategic Research Unit
Reserve Bank of India, 8th Floor, Central Office Building
Shahid Bhagat Singh Road, Mumbai-400 001.
Facilities and Stipend:
- RBI will provide office space, internet connectivity and other support facilities to the interns.
- RBI will pay a stipend of Rs. 35,000/- per month.
- Interns will be required to make accommodation arrangements of their own.
For more information, please visit the official notification page on the RBI website here.
About the Author
Loved my student life, love talking to students now. I am a wearer of multiple hats (wife, mom, cook, chauffeur). My job is my hobby! :)