This has been submitted as part of the Noticebard Internship Experience Competition.
Name, Course, College
Manu Gupta, M.Sc Physics, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar.
18 June 2019 to 5 July 2019
How to apply
I applied through the official website of IIT, Ropar and after some paperwork, I got selected.
First day formalities, infrastructure
The first day was all about discussions. I and my Supervisor ran through a number of projects and topics which interlinks both Physics and Mathematics. We were trying to access the knowledge from each other & then my Supervisor came to a conclusion about which project I will be working on.
The infrastructure of the Institute was brilliant. They have all the basic facilities for students. The Library is a peaceful place to work there and is full of all types of books. Classes were Smart. A complete hygiene was maintained at each floor.
Canteen also contained both Veg and Non-Veg kind of foods.
I interned at the Institute’s Mathematics Department & I primarily worked on ‘Probability and Statistics’ and their uses in the field of financial marketing.
The main task of my internship was to find out the distributions of the daily Equity Returns data of some major stocks like Apple, Tesla Motors, Google etc. using Python Programming as a prominent tool.
I found work culture ‘a hectic one’. All teachers and students were working on something. In short, Research was going on all around. The overall experience proved to be both enjoyable and rewarding. I did, however, encounter some difficulties working on the task because I needed some time to familiarize myself with the world of Python Programming.
In the end, I was able to successfully achieve the goals set for me at the beginning of my internship.
The Pros of My Internship are:
- The Primary Reason to ignore earning little to no income during an internship is the knowledge of gaining actual work experience in a field you are interested in.
- Employers are likely to hire a graduate with the word internship highlighted on their Resume than those without.
- Taking an internship shows work ethic and a dedication to your career which employers found appealing.
- Due to the variety of tasks, the work will never be dull.
- As an intern, you’ll most likely work with a variety of people in no. of different departments, helping you hone in on what you do and don’t want to pursue in your career after graduation.
The Cons were:
- Most internships pay little or nothing at all.
- It is likely an intern will not be seen as an equal member of the staff. It is also difficult to shake off the label of an intern when interacting with co-workers.
- With the volume of tasks divided into interns & the varying nature of those tasks, it can be difficult to find a focus and goal throughout the internship.
- The tasks assigned to interns are generally basics, low-skill duties, which rarely utilize the progressive skill level of the individual.
I got a stipend of Rs.5000.
I live in Ropar, so, I wasn’t in need of accommodation but still, accommodation was available to interns.