The global competition, hosted by BBC World Service and the British Council, offers the unique opportunity for playwrights to use the medium of radio drama to reach an international audience. Writers from around the world are invited to submit their scripts as the 27th International Radio Playwriting Competition is open for entries.
This year the two first prizes can come from either the English as a First Language or the English as a Second Language category. Both winners will attend an award ceremony in London and see their plays recorded for broadcast on BBC World Service
Entrants should write a radio play of approximately fifty-three minutes’ length on any subject of their choice.
The entrants warrant, by submitting plays, that the play:
- is the original work of the entrants,
- is not an adaptation of an earlier work (for example a novel),
- will not have been professionally produced in any medium (an informal play-reading is acceptable; a play-reading with a professional director and in front of a non-paying audience is acceptable, but a performance involving payment to actors and/or a paying audience is not) before 31 March 2021,
- will not have been offered for publication, performance or broadcast or produced in any other form or medium to any other person or company before 31 March 2021, and
- will not have been entered for any other competition before 31 March 2021.
- All scripts submitted must be approximately 53 minutes in length – this usually equates to a minimum of 45 pages of A4 paper (or equivalent) and a maximum of 65 pages
- A breach of these warranties will result in disqualification from the competition.
- Entry is only open to anyone who is over the age of 18 as at 31 January 2020 who is not normally a resident of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man (“UK”).
- Individuals who have lived or worked in the UK on a temporary basis for no more than 12 months at the time of entering the competition are also eligible.
- Professional and previously published writers are eligible to enter, but this is not a requirement of entry. We may require proof of eligibility.
To submit your entries online, click here.
The last date to submit is January 31, 2020.
Email ID: email@example.com