About the Competition
The International Astronomy and Astrophysics Competition takes this fascination sparking subject and gives students the opportunity to challenge their astronomy and astrophysics knowledge in a friendly competition and – by participating – to learn more about this interesting subject and to extend their horizon.
The International Astronomy and Astrophysics Competition has the aim to be accessible to all students from all countries regardless of their background, school, or institution. For that, the International Astronomy and Astrophysics Competition uses today’s technologies and the global connection through the internet to make this competition possible.
Who can Participate?
In order to be eligible to participate in the International Astronomy and Astrophysics Competition, you have to be at least 10 years old and you have to be a student (this includes high school, college, and university). There are no other restrictions and students from all grades and all countries are invited to participate.
There are two age categories:
- Junior: under 18 years on 30. April 2021
- Youth: over 18 years on 30. April 2021
Students from both categories will receive the same problems in all rounds, however, students that are youths (18 years or older) will have to reach more points to qualify for the next round (e.g. to qualify for the pre-final round, students that are under 18 years have to reach 15 points and students that are over 18 years have to reach 20 points).
The International Astronomy and Astrophysics Competition gives you the unique opportunity to unleash your science skills and to apply them to challenging problems. Participants receive certificates, awards, cash prizes, global recognition, and more.
Prizes and Awards
- All Participants: Official Participation Certificate
- All Finalists: Bronze Honour, Silver Honour or Gold Honour
- 1. Prize, Youth: 150 USD Cash Prize, Special 1. Prize Certificate
- 2. Prize, Youth: 100 USD Cash Prize, Special 2. Prize Certificate
- 3. Prize, Youth: 50 USD Cash Prize, Special 3. Prize Certificate
- 1. Prize, Junior: 150 USD Cash Prize, Special 1. Prize Certificate
- 2. Prize, Junior: 100 USD Cash Prize, Special 2. Prize Certificate
- 3. Prize, Junior: 50 USD Cash Prize, Special 3. Prize Certificate
- National Awards (best participant from each country)
Rounds / Process
- Qualification Round: The qualification round 2021 consists of five astronomy problems and you can submit your solutions online until 30. April 2021. All participants receive certificates.
- Pre-Final Round: Successful participants can register for the pre-final round: You have one week to solve the ten challenging problems of the pre-final round.
- Final Round: Successful finalists can participate in the final round: You will take a supervised exam of 30 minutes. The winners receive certificates and cash prizes worth over 700 USD.
How to Register?
Interested participants can register for the competition through this link.
April 30, 2021
For more details, click the link below.