Institute on Elections 2019 and Political Journalism
The “Institute on Elections 2019 and Political Journalism” will be held from 23-28 February 2019, in New Delhi at the India International Centre, Annexe Building (Lecture Room II). The course will run from 2:30-5:30 PM on each day.
The course co-conveners are Om Thanvi (Award-winning journalist, former Editor of Jansatta, Consulting Editor of Rajasthan Patrika Group) and Pamela Philipose (Award-winning journalist, Public Editor of The Wire, and author of the new book, ‘Media’s Shifting Terrain’).
Curriculum and topics
The course will give participants a deep dive into the topic of “Elections 2019 and Political Journalism”, through lectures, panel discussions, readings, informal discussion opportunities, and an optional assignment.
Tentative titles of the sessions for the six days are:
- Introduction to the topic: Political Journalism and General Election 2019; what makes great election coverage; looking back on past elections and their coverage;
- The Election Commission; election Laws; social media as election influencers and disruptors;
- How India Votes: Data and elections; the view of Indian elections from abroad;
- Election contests in the Hindi heartland; Experiences of covering the most recent state elections;
- Gender and Politics; Innovations in election communication;
- What to expect from General Election 2019;
Participants will leave the course with a more rigorous understanding of political journalism; a deeper capacity to engage with the news; a dynamic, lifelong network comprising fellow participants, the co-conveners, and guest speakers; a Certificate of Completion; the opportunity to publish their optional assignment – if adjudged outstanding – on the Academe India website; and more.
Enrollment in the course will be on a first-come, first-served basis. All who are first-year college students and older, of any academic or professional background, are eligible for the course. We anticipate participants from diverse backgrounds – students, journalists, lawyers, writers, publishers, public relations personnel, business people, other members of the general public – from Delhi and from across the country.
Prospective participants will need to be able to comprehend both spoken Hindi and spoken English in order to be able to take the course.
How to apply
Regular course fee: Rs. 9,499
Application deadline: February 23, 2019.
Click here to apply online.
For further details in the same, click here.