Applications are now open for the Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies Fellowship Program 2020. The Fellowship Programme is designed to bring highly qualified people from academia, the business world, and civil society to the institute, who provide expertise, inspiration, and creative input.
Each year, up to 30 individuals from around the world participate in the institute’s Fellow Programme. During their stay, fellows work with each other and with IASS researchers, providing expertise, inspiration, and creative input.
In return, the IASS offers fellows the opportunity to develop their ideas in an international community of eminent researchers, not only within the institute but also in the wider Potsdam-Berlin area. In keeping with the institute’s transdisciplinary approach to research, fellows are encouraged to engage with stakeholders from all areas of society.
They particularly welcome proposals that envisage active collaboration with IASS researchers and aim to achieve joint outputs with one or more of the institute’s research groups. With this in mind, applicants are encouraged to contact the coordinator of the Fellow Unit and to consult directly with researchers at the IASS while developing their project idea.
Applications should be related to one of the current research areas of the IASS:
- Perception, values, orientation
- Democratic transformations
- Governance for the environment and society
- Energy systems and societal change
- Forums: science, policy, and society
- Systemic interdependencies: technology, nature, society.
Fellows will receive financial compensation to cover their additional costs of living during their stay in Germany. The exact amount will depend on the particular situation of the successful applicant (e.g. whether they are on paid or unpaid leave) and will be decided on an individual basis.
On request, the IASS can also provide limited resources to cover travel expenses, publication fees, support for organizing workshops, production costs for artistic work, etc.
The minimum duration of fellowships is three months, and the maximum duration is twelve months. Fellows are expected to be physically present at the IASS during their stay and actively contribute to the work of the institute, for example by holding seminars and participating in other IASS activities.
- The Fellowships are open to individuals at all career stages and may be combined with sabbaticals.
- The IASS strongly encourages experts with a strong interest in sustainability and societal transformation to apply for this program.
- Applicants can come from a wide range of sectors such as science, public administration, the private sector, civil society, media, or the arts.
- Applicants from the scientific community are expected to generally have completed a Ph.D. or similar level of experience before the actual Fellowship begins.
- For those outside academia, several years’ work experience in a given field is a requirement.
How to Apply?
For your application, we require the following documents:
- A letter of motivation. Please mention whether you consider yourself an academic or a practitioner and for academics what prior experience you have at the interface of your field of expertise and other sectors of society (such as science, politics, business, the arts, media, etc.).
- A current CV should not exceed three pages.
- If available, a list of projects, publications, lectures, or similar can be added. The list should be limited to the most important items and not exceed three pages.
- A proposal outlining your planned activities. The proposal should be no longer than five pages (excluding bibliographic references) and should be structured as follows: Title of your project; Project Outline (max. 300 words); Specification of which of the six research areas your activities are most closely linked to; Description of activities; Details of how these activities will contribute to the work of the IASS; Resource needs (e.g. special infrastructure, travel costs, costs for workshops, etc.); Timeline (intended start and end of Fellowship).
To apply online, click here.
The last date to apply is August 23, 2020.
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
For full notification, click the link below.
You might also be interested in David H. Smith Conservation Research Fellowship Program 2021 [Annual Salary Upto Rs. 44L]: Apply by Oct 2.