About the Challenge
Applications are open for Innovate for Impact: Siemens Design Challenge 2020. Join a global movement to prepare, adapt and respond to the most pressing challenges in food and water. Nurture breakthrough ideas, apply human-centered design to engineer innovative hardware solutions that help achieve the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
Innovate for Impact: Siemens Design Challenge brings together engineering communities focused on changing the world, and the resources of a leading, top-10 global software company that’s been addressing the needs of society for more than 170 years.
They are doing this to provide engineers with platforms to expand what’s humanly possible, creating new spaces to dream, innovate and develop solutions to drive us toward achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
Those who engage in this challenge will have access to the Siemens software and technologies that have already enabled its users to cut product development cycle times in half. Now in addition to speed to market, engineers can focus on speed to society, delivering the solutions needed to achieve a more equal world by 2030.
- Zero Hunger Track: Design a postharvest off-grid preservation technology
- Clean Water Track: Design a very low-cost, energy-efficient, scalable technology for desalinating brackish water
One winner/winning team will be selected for the track. The winner will receive $10,000 USD and the opportunity to meet Siemens USA CEO in person. The winner will be promoted across Siemens USA and Engineering for Change platforms and receive exclusive invitations to industry events.
- Anyone with an innovative solution can apply.
- Although it’s beneficial to have either an engineering or design background, it is not required. Every idea can make a difference.
Throughout the challenge, you will be asked to:
- Submit a text-based application, explaining the problem area you are addressing and your proposed solution
- Submit a short (60 seconds maximum) video introducing your team and product concept
- Research and explore the needs of your end-user
- Design your concept in 3D CAD
- Iterate your design based on the research you have conducted and provide justification for your decisions
- Simulate how your product works
- Submit a video pitch of your proposed solution
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the challenge through this link.
May 4, 2020