About the Indira Gandhi Post Graduate Scholarship
It is observed that number of girls as against boys in certain states is declining which is a matter of great concern. The females are even forced to give birth to male child. In such circumstances education of women needs to be used and effective means for their empowerment and education will prepare them to have a control over their lives.
The mindset which militates against the girl child could not keep pace with economic progress and literacy. The Government of India declared elementary education as a basic human right of every child. The Union Government of India has taken various steps to uplift the status of women by implementing various schemes including free education for girls.
In order to achieve and promote girls education, UGC has introduced a Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child with an aim to compensate direct costs of girl education to all levels especially for such girls who happen to be the only girl child in their family.
Who is it for
- Girl students who are admitted in the first year of PG courses in the following Universities / Colleges and happen to be the only girl child in the family:
- Universities/Institutions/Colleges included under section 2(f) & and 12(B) of UGC Act.
- Deemed to be Universities included under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 and eligible to receive grants-in-aid from UGC. Those Deemed Universities which do not receive funds from the Central/ State Government are not eligible institutions under the scheme.
- Universities/Institutions/College funded by Central/State Government.
- Institutes of National Importance.
- Girl students without having any brother or the girl student who are twin daughters/ fraternal daughter may also apply for scholarship under the aforesaid scheme. In a family, if one son and one daughter are available then girl child will not be considered for scholarship under the scheme.
Age limit: Girl students up to the age of 30 years at the time of admission in the first year of PG courses are eligible.
The scheme is applicable to such a single girl child who has taken admission in regular, full-time first-year Masters Degree course in any designated university or a post-graduate college.
Admission to PG Course in Distance education mode is not covered under the scheme.
Amount of fellowship: Rs.36,200/- p.a. for a period of two years only i.e. full duration of a PG course. No other additional grant will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
How to apply
Apply on the National Scholarship Portal under the UGC Schemes Tab.
The last date to apply is November 15, 2019
Candidates can contact the Help Desk for resolution of the technical problems: 0120 – 6619540.
Click here for the details of the scheme.