The 39th Indian Geography Congress will hosted by the Department of Geography and Geoinformatics, Osmania University, Hyderabad during Dec 5-7, 2017.
The focal theme of the congress will be “Future Cities, Sustainable Development and Geospatial Technologies”.
Cities are cultural centres and the driving force behind the local and global economy. However, in their present form they are not sustainable, from an ecological, social or economic point of view.
Rapid population growth, increasing mobility, social conflict, under-development of the rural areas and climatic changes are global challenges which urban regions have to face up to. This is why one important focus for research is the development of sustainable cities, be that through finding new urban processes and building technologies or taking an innovative approach to urban, transport and spatial planning by using geospatial technology.
The process of urbanization can create an enabling environment for transforming production capacities, income levels and living standards, especially in developing countries. However, this requires a shift in mind-set of decision makers, away from viewing urbanization as a problem, towards viewing urbanization as an opportunity to promote sustainable development.
Call for Papers:
Papers are invited in the following topics which will be discussed during the technical sessions.
- Indian Geography: The Emerging Vistas
- Geography as a Professional Discipline (Planning, Health Care, Cartography and GIS)
- Remote Sensing, GPS and GIS in Geographical Studies
- Physical Geography and Earth System Science
- Climate Change, Bio-diversity, Environmental Challenges
- India in the New Global Context
- People, Resources and Development
- Urban Society, Economy and Geography
- From Rural to Urban India
- Geopolitics, Conflict Resolution and Geography of Peace
- Social and Cultural Dimensions in Geography
- Geographical Education
- Members are requested to fill up the enclosed registration form and send the same along with the abstract and the registration fee by 15th October, 2017.
- Full papers must reach the Convener by November 20, 2017.
- Abstract without full Registration Fee will not be printed in the Book of Abstracts.
- Manuscript of the full paper should be typed on quarto size and double spaced.
- Bibliographic reference should be minimized and given at the end of the paper.
- Geographers are requested to preferably submit only one abstract of paper to the Congress.
- Abstracts and full papers should sent to the Convener email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registration fee for the participants of the IGC is Rs. 1700/- out of which Rs. 1500/- will be retained by the Convener and the remaining Rs. 200/- will go to National Association of Geographers India (NAGI) Secretariat.
- Participants are requested to send two separate D.D.s, Rs. 1500/- to “Convener, 39th Indian Geography Congress” and Rs. 200/- as NAGI share to NAGI Secretariat, Delhi in favour of “the National Association of Geographers, India (NAGI)” along with personal details.
- For foreign delegates, excluding SAARC, it is $ 125.
- Research scholars (not below M. Phil Level) would pay Rs. 800/- as registration fee to the Convener and Rs. 200/- to NAGI Secretariat, provided that their registration form is accompanied by documentary proof of their station.
Convener Prof. C. Venugopal Rao Head, Department of Geography and Geoinformatics,
Osmania University, Hyderabad – 500 007, Telangana
Tel.: (91)-040-27097192 (Office) Mob: +91 9989064567, +91 7013400271
For full details and application form, please click here.
About the Author
Loved my student life, love talking to students now. I am a wearer of multiple hats (wife, mom, cook, chauffeur). My job is my hobby! :)