India Fellow is an experiential social leadership program for young Indians that include working full time for a year with a field partner organization (called host organization) on a specific project or issue together with training, peer learning and mentoring. This experience will empower India Fellows to find their own leadership potential, shape their futures and make a difference.
The India Fellow pedagogy is unique. It engages a very strong collective of multiple sector leaders, academicians, practitioners from the development sector and young leaders. The training focus on development theory and practice, leadership skills, program management, organizational development and innovative approaches including design thinking, participatory rural appraisal and systems thinking.
The India Fellow program design has 3 prime pieces that fit into each other over the duration of 13 months.
1] Training, Peer Learning & Workshops: The fellowship has approximately 7 weeks spread over the duration of overall 13 months where the fellows meet at a common point for training. This is into 4 parts namely:-
(i) induction training (18 days) at the start
(ii) mid point training (12 days) at the end of 5 months
(iii) travel workshop (10 days) in the 10th month
(iv) end point training (5 days) at the end
2] Work Assignment with Host Organization: The volume wise biggest chunk of the fellow life will be spent with a reputed, authentic and committed grassroots organization. These are spread across the country and delve into diverse thematic areas.
During this, the fellow will be living in their work areas, both rural or urban setups, and working closely with the organization’s team to understand the social framework and development approach.
The immersion with the organization inculcates sensitivity, deeper understanding and consciousness and is a powerful experience for the fellow to look inwards as well as issues India faces at large. The fellow not only learns but also contributes to the organization by bringing their skills and enthusiasm on board.
3] Mentorship & The Network Support: Every fellow from the third month onward is exposed to a pool of mentors, both from the organization as well as the fellowship. A mentor is an expert with huge experience in their domain and will be a philosopher and guide to the fellow in his/her journey. Their role will be more geared to the fellow’s development than the fellowship or work assignments.
Along with that, the fellowship ecosystem that consists of trainers, alumni, personnel from various host organizations and the program team are constantly available and interacting with the fellows to enrich the experience as friends and coaches.
- You are between 20 to 28 years of age.
- You are already a graduate (in any discipline) or will be before fellowship begins.
- You are an Indian citizen.
- You are ready for a 13 month full time commitment to the fellowship.
- You understand that this is not just a job and will expect you to be engaged 24X7 in the process with the community.
- You understand that you can be placed in any part of the country and in any thematic area.
The selection to India Fellow is a 4 step process
- Applicants fill a detailed online application form. The 2018 cohort applications will be accepted from 1st September 2017 onward.
- Shortlisted candidates will go through a telephonic conversation with the India Fellow team.
- Those who qualify after that, work over short field-cum-written assignment.
- Post this they will be invited for an assessment day and personal interview in one of our centres – Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bangalore, Hyderabad or Chennai.
Final selections will be announced only after the personal interview 45 days prior to the commencement date of the fellowship.
The organization supports the fellow with a monthly stipend of Rs. 15,000 for living expenses like accommodation, food and travel.
Call: 011-26217460 (between 10.00 to 18.00, Monday to Friday)
For details, please visit the official website link given here.