About India Fellow Programme
Young people have tremendous potential to bring change in this country. They have the energy and the will to deep dive into problems and look for solutions. In order to channelize such passion, we need to invest in these young leaders and provide them with opportunities to get exposed to India’s social development challenges.
We also give them the space to explore their role within it so that they can approach the future with the passion and purpose they need to make an impact on our nation and our world. It is this discovery of oneself and one’s larger purpose that this fellowship journey is about.
Through the India Fellow program, we want to capture the attention of young people from all walks of life, with diverse career interests, to dig in and get their hands dirty, to get to know the development challenges through the hands-on work, training and coaching. This, we believe will help them in becoming committed and passionate leaders of tomorrow, and in the process contribute in their localities and in the world.
India Fellow is a 13-month full-time paid fellowship program that has the following three major aspects:
- Training, Peer Learning & Workshops: The fellowship has approximately 7 weeks spread over the duration of overall 13 months where the fellows meet at a common point for training. This is into 3 parts namely
- Induction training (18 days) at the start
- Mid point training (12 days) at the end of 5 months
- Travel workshop (10 days) and end point training (4 days) at the end
The India Fellow pedagogy is unique. It engages a very strong collective of multiple sector leaders, academicians, practitioners from the development sector and young leaders. The training focus on development theory and practice, leadership skills, program management, organizational development and innovative approaches including design thinking, participatory rural appraisal and systems thinking.
- Work Assignment with a Grassroots Organization: Fellows spend most of their time with a reputed, authentic and committed organization working on various social issues. During this, the fellow will be living in their work areas, typically rural setups, and working on a specific role. The immersion is a powerful experience for fellows to look inwards as well as understand issues India faces at large. The organization supports the fellow with a monthly stipend of Rs. 15,000 for living expenses.
- Mentorship: Every fellow is supported with a mentor who is an expert in their domain and will personally be a philosopher and guide to the fellow in his/her journey. Along with that, the fellowship ecosystem consists of sector leaders, alumni and personnel from various organizations who are constantly available and interacting with fellows to enrich their experience.
To know more about the India Fellowship, watch the below video.
- You are between 21 to 28 years of age
- You are already a graduate (in any discipline) or will be before fellowship begins
- You are an Indian citizen
- You are ready for a 13 month full time commitment to the fellowship
- You understand that this is not just a job and will expect you to be engaged 24X7 in the process with the community
- You understand that you can be placed in any part of the country and in any thematic area
Selection to the India Fellow program is a 3 step process:
1. Applicants fill a detailed online application form.
2. Shortlisted candidates will go through a telephonic interview.
3. Those who qualify, will be invited for a day of assessment process and personal interview in one of our centres at – Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai.
Final selections will be announced via e-mail by end of December, 2018.
Fellowship begins from February, 2019.
Phone: 011-26217460 (between 10.00 to 18.00, Monday to Friday)
Click here for official website.
About the Author
Loved my student life, love talking to students now. I am a wearer of multiple hats (wife, mom, cook, chauffeur). My job is my hobby! :)