The Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune (an autonomous institution of the University Grants Commission), and the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (NCRA-TIFR), Pune, are two leading centres of research in a wide range of areas in Physics, and Astronomy and Astrophysics. IUCAA and NCRA-TIFR are located on neighbouring campuses in the Pune University Campus.
- Applications are invited from students who expect to complete their M.Sc., Integrated M.Sc., B.Sc., or B.E./B.Tech./M.E./M.Tech. degrees by July 2018 with 55% marks or more.
- Students in any branch of the B.E., B.Tech., M.E. or M.Tech. degrees, or in the Physics, Electronics, Astronomy or Applied Mathematics branches of the B.Sc. or M.Sc. degrees, are eligible to apply for INAT-2017.
- Students who have already completed any of the above degrees are also eligible. In addition, talented final-year B.Sc., 1st year M.Sc., 3rd/4th year Integrated M.Sc. and 2nd/3rd year B.E./B.Tech. students may also apply to be pre-selected for the Ph.D. programme at IUCAA.
- Students who complete their M.Sc./Integrated M.Sc./M.E./M.Tech. degrees by July 2018 will be eligible for selection to the Ph.D. programme of both IUCAA and NCRA-TIFR. Students who complete their B.E./B.Tech. degrees by July 2018 are eligible for selection to the Ph.D. programme at IUCAA and to the Integrated Ph.D. programme at NCRA-TIFR).
- Students who complete their B.Sc. degrees by July 2018 will be eligible for selection to the Integrated Ph.D. programme at NCRA-TIFR and for pre-selection to the Ph.D. programme at IUCAA.
We are looking for highly motivated students with a consistently good academic record. While we strongly encourage students from engineering backgrounds to apply for INAT-2017, we emphasize that we are looking for students who are interested in carrying out doctoral research in Physics, or Astronomy and Astrophysics. We hence expect prospective candidates to have a good understanding of basic Physics.
Based on the applications and referee assessments, a subset of the candidates will be short-listed and invited to take the written test, to be held in Pune on Thursday, December 7, 2017. Candidates with 55% or more marks in the qualifying examination may walk-in for the written test by producing a valid photo identification and a copy of their most recent marksheet.
They should report at the Chandrasekhar Auditorium, IUCAA by 9:00 a.m. for verification of these documents, to ensure that there are no logistical problems. The final selection to the research scholarship will be based on the results of the written test (on Thursday, December 7, 2017) and two interviews (on Thursday, December 7, and/or Friday, December 8, 2017), both to be held in Pune. Note that, for both IUCAA and NCRA-TIFR, the selection through INAT is in addition to the selection through the Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST).