Indian Council of Social Science Research invites Applications for Research Projects under the scheme Impactful Policy Research in Social Science of Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, New Delhi.
Impactful Policy Research in Social Science (IMPRESS) is an idea of its own kind that aims to provide a research roadmap to address policy challenges pertaining to society and so, social science areas. The identified domains encompass the major areas or themes that have been in public policy debate due to new developments, earnest concerns, emerging issues, critical deficiencies, and amplified expectations.
Some sub-themes within a broad domain that have contributed towards growing importance of the domain have also been identified. The research based inputs are the crucial requirements in the process of policy making as a policy should evolve from the society and its concerns and the policy is expected to cater to the needs of the society at various intervals of its life.
Most of the times there is a wide gap between the policy makers and the society which needs to be bridged for rendering policy more acceptable and implementable which in turn enhances the efficacy of the policy.
Social science researchers can be very helpful in identification of the gaps between the society and policy makers and they may attempt to provide vital inputs or evidences about the perception and appreciation of the government’s policies among various layers of the society. Besides, there may be crucial areas where policy makers require evidence, feedback, appraisal, awareness and participation, all in the form of document, in order to make policy substantially effective.
So, IMPRESS is dedicated to address the issue of bridging the gap between policy making, implementing and the society by generating or encouraging vital inputs from researches in social science disciplines and also to inspire researches in these domains to take up the task of assessment of policies and also that of coordination between policy makers, academics and the society.
Besides that various ministries and departments of the government have commonality of policy interests and for that they need to have interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary evidence based inputs that could serve their common interests and can help formulate an approach which is more comprehensive and inclusive. Elimination of conflicting interest of the various departments could also be brought about by enhanced degree of inter-disciplinary approach by improved coordination.
- All Government funded institutions including Universities (central and state), private institutions with UGC 12(b) status and ICSSR Research Institutes are eligible to apply.
- The Project Director should be a regular employee, possessing Ph.D. degree and have an interest in high quality research which may be evidenced by past studies, publications and academic background. In case the project has co- Director(s), they should have proven research interest.
- Retired faculties with proven research interests can also apply under the scheme but they would be required to get themselves affiliated to any of the research institutions mentioned above.
- Individual scholars can apply for maximum two projects at a time. However, in case both projects are selected, the applicant can choose only one project at level 3. Institutes having good research infrastructure and resources may apply for a number of proposals
The identified Domain Areas for policy research include:
- State and Democracy
- Urban Transformation
- Media, Culture and Society
- Employment, Skills and Rural Transformation
- Governance, Innovation and Public Policy
- Growth, Macro Trade and Economic Policy
- Agriculture and Rural Development
- Health and Environment
- Science and Education
- Social Media and Technology
- Politics, Law and Economics
How to apply
Apply online at this page.
After submitting the online application, a hard copy of the same, along with all enclosures, must be sent to:
IMPRESS, Indian Council of Social Science Research, Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, New Delhi 110067
before the last date of such submission duly signed and stamped by the affiliating institution.
The Applicants are required to submit an Abstract & a detailed Research Proposal in the given format including details of the Project Director and Co-Director(s) and the budget.
The last date to apply is November 30. 2018.
Remuneration and Emoluments of Project Staff
Project staff could be engaged by the Project Director on a full/ part-time basis during the research work and the duration/consolidated monthly emoluments of their employment may be decided by the project director within the limits of the sanctioned financial allocation and as per the ICSSR rules.
Research Associate @Rs.25, 000/- p.m. (Qualification – Post graduate in any social science discipline with minimum 55% marks and NET/SLET/M.Phil/Ph.D)
Research Assistant @Rs.20, 000/- p.m. (Qualification-Ph.D./M.Phil./ Post graduate in social science discipline with minimum 55% marksd)
Field Investigator @ Rs.15, 000/-p.m. (not exceeding 6 months) (Qualification-M.A with
minimum 55% marks).
Retrospective payment for work already done is not permissible.
For full details, visit the official notification given here.