This new series of conferences is envisioned to take place in different continents over time, thus providing an opportunity for researchers, educators, practitioners, and students to engage directly with urban and rural subsistence marketplaces, through conversations and observations.
The conference will also feature professional development workshops for junior scholars and doctoral students. The two distinct parts of the schedule, based on geographic locations, will allow for some flexibility to accommodate constraints. Details will be developed over time and the description above is tentative and subject to changes based on responses from potential participants.
How to Apply / Register:
To participate in the conference, we request a two-part application and registration process. First, please complete a simple form by August 31 that asks the following:
- An overview of your interests (research, education, social enterprise, business, government, other) as they relate to subsistence marketplaces.
- An outline of how your topic enhances understanding of and well-being in subsistence marketplaces.
- A description of how/why immersive experiences will help you develop deeper insights into your topic of interest.
- Your prior experiences in subsistence marketplaces (if any). Note that prior experience in this area is not a requirement.
In addition, we will need you to complete a separate registration form to process your payment for the conference by September 30.
- Application form (please complete by August 31, 2017)
- Registration form (please complete by September 30, 2017)
Tentative recommended schedule:
- Arrival in Chennai – January 3rd evening or night
- Field visits and debriefs – January 4-6
- Travel to Delhi – January 7
- Field visits – January 7 and 8
- Debrief and conclusion – January 9
- Departure from Delhi – night of January 9 or later
- Optional visit to Taj Mahal, Agra, and Delhi sightseeing – January 10
These details are tentative and subject to response from participants.
Conference Director, Madhu Viswanathan, Director
183 Wohlers Hall, 1206 South Sixth Street
Champaign, IL, 61820