The IITB-Monash Research Academy is addressing the growing need for multidisciplinary research and is finding innovative solutions to research questions across eight specialist areas of growing global significance.
Established in 2008, the IITB-Monash Research Academy is a major Australian-Indian research collaboration formed between India’s top-ranked Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB) and Monash University.
Geared towards PhD training on a sizeable scale, the academy brings a solutions-driven approach to addressing global problems. With strong industry involvement, it is taking the lead in solving some of the greatest challenges of our time.
Joint PhD program
The PhD program at IITB-Monash Research Academy allows graduate students from India to work with both IITB and Monash supervisors, as well as industry partners. Spending at least one year in Australia, students graduate with a joint PhD degree from IITB and Monash University, ensuring a truly global experience, setting them up for future career success.
Joint research opportunities
We are not restricted by faculty or university borders and as such, our multidisciplinary projects transcend individual or discipline-oriented research agendas. We are driven by industry need, focussing on improving the lives of people in India, Australia, but also across the world by addressing global challenges.
- Advanced Computational Engineering, Simulation and Manufacture
- Infrastructure Engineering
- Clean Energy
- Biotechnology and Stem Cell Research
- Humanities and Social Sciences
Click here for full details about the projects.
Students in the joint IITB-Monash PhD program will benefit from the following funding arrangements:
- Rs 372,000 per annum scholarship for the first two years
- Rs 420,000 per annum after first two years
- A grant of up to A$25,850 per annum in Australia
- A minimum of one year in Australia working with your Monash University co-supervisor (some projects may require you to be in Australia for a longer period of time or undertake more than one trip), Waiver of international student tuition fees at Monash University.
NOTE: The above represents a typical scholarship. The actual scholarship that will be provided to a specific student will depend on their qualifications, grades and performance.
- First Class Masters Degree from a reputed university OR
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering/Science (with high GPA)
and a burning desire to make a difference to the world.
Although not a pre-requisite, candidates who have been highly placed in GATE, GRE, CSIR-NET, JAM or any other competitive exam and who have industry experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Applications for the December 2019 Intake are now open.
Click here to fill the Expression of Interest (EOI) form.
The last date for submission of EOI forms is 11 September 2019.
Further steps are explained on this page.
IIT Bombay, Powai, Mumbai 400076