ISRO, IIT Bombay and AICTE have invited participation from individuals and teams for a Mapathon using open-source software.
The data collected from Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) platforms have tremendous potential in mapping India’s resources, agriculture, climate and disaster management, rural and urban planning and in identifying pathways for future development. Such maps can be created using free open source platforms (such as QGIS). Let us join together to create such maps through the Mapathon and end to end innovative solutions through the Hackathon.
What is Mapathon?
Mapathon is map-making competition for a specific problem statement. This event, organised jointly by IIT Bombay, AICTE and ISRO, will invite all Indians – to produce maps using Indian remote sensing data. The primary objective is to understand the potential of Indian remote sensing data and make maps for Indian regions using free open source mapping software (QGIS). The participants will collectively work in a crowdsourcing method for jointly producing thematic maps of India using Indian remote sensing data.
All Indian Nationals
Team size and Composition
- Build Capacity in the Country in Space Applications towards making India an AatmaNirbharBharat & Global GIS hub
- Enabler Platform for Collaborative Problem Solving
A team can choose one of the problem statements given below or select a topic of their choice
- Mapping of natural resources / man-made features.
- Change Detection based on AWIFS or LISS III Datasets.
- LULC Change with hotspots using LULC maps from Bhuvan.
- Flood Maps.
- State-wise Health Care Indicators Maps.
- Locust infestation / Stubble burning / Low lying areas / Jhum Cultivation.
- Road Network / Drainage Maps.
- Land Degradation Maps.
- Health infra, population, age group etc. for Vaccination.
- Detection of change in Waterbodies / Reservoirs / Wetlands.
- Choose your own topic.
How to Register?
Interested participants can register for the Mapathon through this link.
Dec 30, 2020
For more details, click the link below.