Fire Safety Science and Engineering is concerned with the efficient protection of life and property. Due to various limitations, it is not always possible to perform experiments. As a result, numerical tools are employed to study Fire Science.
Over the past several years, modelling of fires using computational techniques is becoming increasingly very popular in fire safety engineering and science. This short course is intended to educate UG, PG students, researchers and industry professionals on the underlying theory and application of fire modelling.
The theoretical part is accompanied by practical exercises (mostly with FDS and PyroSim) with focus on the discussed models. The principles of fire protection practice and technology will be discussed within the context of understanding the fire and applications to various real-life problems.
- To give a broad introduction to fire safety science.
- To develop an understanding of the role of mathematical modelling in fire safety science.
- To provide an introduction to the principles of heat transfer and fluid dynamics.
- To introduce the concepts of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD).
- To familiarize attendees with computational software used in fire modeling.
On completion of the short course, those participating should:
- be familiar with the concept of Fire science.
- should be able to apply general combustion and engineering principles to fires.
- be familiar with basic assumptions in Fire dynamics and CFD modeling using FDS.
- have an understanding of the capabilities and limitations of modelling software packages for modelling fire
- be able to select and use the most appropriate mathematical software and demonstrate their use in fire applications.
- be able to interpret model predictions.
Forenoon session will be dedicated for theory and afternoon will be reserved for hands-on practice on selected problems. Concepts and techniques will be introduced and demonstrated in the course. Those attending will gain experience in using the methods via theory and practical sessions using numerical tools like FDS and PyroSim.
Duration: 4-5 July, 2019
Total 7 hours of lectures and 8 hours tutorials.
Day 1: Understanding of Fundamental Processes (4 July 2019 )
- Basics of Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics
- Fire science and combustion
- Computational Fluid Dynamics methods
- Introduction to FDS and PyroSim
- Getting Started with PyroSim.
- Simple and basic tutorial on candle flame modeling
Day 2: Application in real-life problems (5 July 2019 )
- Modeling of a tank/pool fire
- Modeling of fire and smoke spread in a building
- Modeling of fire smoke in an auditorium/aircraft
- Overview of advanced fire models
- Hands on experience in modeling of real-life problem (building and/or tank fire)
This short course in intended for those working in the fire safety related area i.e. research scholars, safety consultants, safety officers, architects, engineers, fire brigade officers, etc. Those attending are expected to be able to use PC Windows and operate a PC.
All the participants must bring their laptops with pre-installed PyroSim trial version. It can be installed from this link.
The course will be held at IIT Roorkee Noida Campus. The detail address and map are as below.
Greater Noida Extension Centre, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Plot No 20, Knowledge Park II, Greater Noida, 201301, India.
Participants from abroad USD 250; Industry/Research Organization: Rs.10000; Academic Institute: Rs.5000. Please note that this fees excludes accommodation and dining.
Accommodation on request can be made available at GNEC,IIT Roorkee Guest House. The charges per day are Rs.1000 for an AC room. The dining charges will be extra as per the institute policy.
Payment to be made only through NEFT/RTGS in the following the account.
Account Name: Conference, Seminar and Symposium IIT Roorkee
Account Number: 33136732957
IFSC Code: SBIN0001069
Bank Name: State Bank of India
Branch Name: IIT Roorkee.
For more information please contact
- Mr. Ankit Sharma (9805913255), E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Poomurugan C (8939705945), E-mail: email@example.com