With an interdisciplinary perspective at the heart of its approach, the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at IIT Madras, which is one of the oldest departments in the Institute, provides intellectual and cultural foundations for the study of human relations in contemporary contexts.
The five-year integrated Master of Arts (M.A.) programme is designed to meet the needs of students who seek a broader learning forum and who appreciate the unique design of inter-disciplinary studies. The programme encourages students to engage in critical thinking and research on ideas, people, society, environment and the human condition.
The total number of seats sanctioned for the programme is 52.
HSEE-2020 is intended to admit students to this programme in two streams:
(1) Integrated MA in Development Studies and
(2) Integrated MA English Studies.
The first two years of the curriculum are common to all the students after which, they branch out into the two streams. Allocation of streams will be based on students’ preferences, their academic performance during the first three semesters, and availability of seats under each stream.
Candidates applying for HSEE-2020 must have passed any one of the following qualifying examinations for the first time in 2019 or should be appearing in 2020.
- The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by a Central or State Board recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a Board or University recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defense Academy.
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School, Board or University examination in India or in a foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities.
- H.S.C. vocational examination.
- Class XII skill courses of CBSE.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London, Cambridge or Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
- Candidates who have completed Class XII (or equivalent) examination outside India or from a Board not specified above should produce a certificate from the Association of Indian Universities to the effect that the examination they have passed is equivalent to the Class XII examination.
Percentage of Marks in Qualifying Examination
Candidates belonging to the General, GEN-EWS and OBC-NCL category must secure a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination. Candidates belonging to SC, ST and PwD categories must secure a minimum of 55% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination.
Date of Birth
Candidates whose date of birth falls on or after October 01, 1995 are eligible for HSEE2020. However, in the case of SC, ST and PwD candidates, upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years, i.e., candidates belonging to SC, ST, and PwD and born on or after October 01, 1990 are eligible.
Entrance Exam Cities for HSEE 2020
The entrance examination will be conducted in the following 16 cities:
Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Coimbatore, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jammu, Kochi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, New Delhi, Patna and Thiruvananthapuram.
Syllabus for HSEE 2020
HSEE-2020 has two parts: Part I and Part II. Syllabus for Part 1 consists of English (25% marks of Part I), Analytical and Quantitative Ability (25% marks of Part I), and General Studies (in four sub-parts; 50% marks of Part I). Part II involves essay writing.
The detailed syllabus is given in the brochure below.
Application Process for HSEE 2020
- Log on to the HSEE 2020 application site and select from the menu “Apply Online” and follow the instructions on the site. Enter all the data as per the instructions. The site will prompt to save the data on the system when necessary.
- Upload scanned (a) Photograph, (b) Signatures and (c) Supporting Documents
- Examination Fee: Candidates must pay the examination fee as applicable is through Net Banking/Credit Card/Debit Card/Indian Bank challan that will be generated during the process of application. The examination fee for SC, ST, PwD candidates is Rs. 1200/- and for all other candidates it is Rs. 2400/-. Additionally, the service charges of the Bank will be Rs.40/-.
- There is an option to pay the exam fee by Indian Bank e-Challan.
The last date for submission of online application and for payment made by Option A (online payment) is January 22, 2020.
The last date for submission of online application and for payment made by Option B – Indian Bank e-challan payment mode (step-2 must have been completed by January 22, 2020) is January 23, 2020.
Application Status can be Checked from the HSEE website from February 17, 2020.
The Chairman, HSEE-2020, JEE Office, IIT Madras, Chennai–600036
Phone: (044) 2257 8220
For the detailed brochure of HSEE 2020, click here and for the official website, click here.