Applications are invited from meritorious candidates for admission into various Ph.D. programs at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati for the July 2021 session.
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati is a public technical and research university established by the Government of India, located in Guwahati, in the state of Assam in India. It is the sixth Indian Institute of Technology established in India.
Types/ Categories of Ph.D. Students
The following categories of students will be admitted for the Ph.D. Program:
- Regular and Full Time
- Sponsored and Full Time
- Employed and Part-Time
- Self-Financed and Full Time
- Self-Financed and Part-Time
- Project Staff and Full Time
- Project Staff and Part-Time
- External and Part-Time
- Self-Financed and Full-Time Foreign Students
The institute offers Ph.D. Program in the following departments:
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics and Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Biosciences and Bioengineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Rural Technology
- Linguistic Science and Technology
For admission to the Ph.D. program, a candidate must satisfy one of the following criteria:
- Master’s degree in Science in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 6.0 out of 10 or a minimum of 60% of marks.
- Master’s degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Design in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of either 6.0 out of 10 or a minimum of 60% of marks.
- Four-year Bachelor’s degree in a related area in Engineering/ Technology/ Design/ Science in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.0 out of 10 or a minimum of 70% of marks.
- Master’s degree in Arts/ Commerce/ Science in a relevant area with a minimum of either 5.5 or 55% marks or equivalent.
For receiving assistantship in Ph.D. programs in Humanities and Social Sciences, a candidate must have a minimum qualifying Post-Graduate Degree in Basic Sciences OR Graduate / Post Graduate Degree in Professional Course selected through a process described through any one of the following:
- Scholars who are selected through National Eligibility Tests – UGC NET including lectureship (Assistant Professorship) and GATE
- The selection process through National level examinations conducted by MHRD and its Agencies and Institutions such as UGC/IIT/IISc./IISER/IIIT, etc.
Relaxation for SC/ST/PwD Candidates: Eligibility criteria will be relaxed by 5% marks or 0.5 CPI for SC/ST/PwD applicants.
The Institute Assistantships/ External Fellowships (such as CSIR/ UGC/ NBHM, etc.) are available only to the students who are admitted under Regular & Full Time Category into Ph.D. programs.
Institute assistantships will be available to eligible students as per prevailing (MHRD, GOI) norms, as applicable from time to time. The present rates of Institute Assistantships are as below:
|First Two Years||Rs.31,000/-|
|For Subsequent Three Years||Rs.35,000/-|
The details of the Application (online/ offline-paper form) & Processing Fee are as follows:
|All Female Candidates :||Rs.150/-|
|All Transgender Candidates :||Rs.150/-|
|All SC/ ST/ PwD Candidates :||Rs.150/-|
|All Other Candidates :||Rs.300/-|
Interested candidates can apply for the Ph.D. Program by clicking here. The last date to apply is April 15, 2021.
The Institute reserves the right to call a limited number of candidates for written test and/or interview/ portfolio review, if required, based on performance in GATE/ NET/ CEED/ INSPIRE, grades/ marks in the qualifying degree examination, etc.
Joint Registrar (Academic Affairs)
Academic Affairs Section
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
For full notification, click the link below.