Invention Factory is an intensive summer program in inventing that originated in the U.S. and will run for the first time in India this summer, at IIT Gandhinagar (IITGN). In six weeks (plus one week of technical training), ten teams of two IIT students will conceive of ten inventions, prototype them, “pitch” them, write and file a U.S. patent application for them, and compete for prizes for “Best Invention.”
This is a program in inventing and working with your hands to build and test a prototype. It fits in very nicely with Prime Minister Modi’s exhortation – MAKE IN INDIA!
Will I be applying for a patent?
By the end of the program, you will file provisional patent applications with both the Indian and the US patent offices. A provisional application is nothing more than a detailed description of your invention, including drawings. Inventions produced through Invention Factory will be the sole property of the student inventors.
All students in good standing entering the 2nd through 5th (dual degree students) year at any of the IITs in India can apply for the program. As the host institution, six seats will be allotted to IIT Gandhinagar students.
Will there be ‘formal’ classes?
- There will be a few sessions in which we will discuss writing a patent application, teach you how to use a laser cutter and a 3D printer (if you haven’t already done that) and similar skills.
- These will be informally structured, without tests or grades, and they will mostly take place in the preliminary week and the first week of the program proper.
- We may offer a few additional classes as needed or as the opportunity arises. But mostly this program is about giving you the support and resources to develop an invention without distractions.
- Click here to apply.
- We will accept applications until the end of March unless we have filled the program with 20 students at an earlier date.
- We require all applicants to submit a video and a brief (500-word maximum!) description of why you would be a good fit for Invention Factory.
- Please visit inventionfactory.org (omit www) to see videos for inventions produced by Invention Factory students at The Cooper Union in previous years.
Last date to register: March-end.
Course Dates: June 11 to July 27, 2018
In case of any query, please feel free to write to us at email@example.com
For further details, Click here to visit the official website.