IIT Bombay Summer Internship 2020 [Dept. of Computer Science]: Apply by March 1
IIT Bombay undertakes a significant amount of software and hardware development work to support their efforts in improving education at all levels and assisting various governments in the same. They have trained more than 1lakh engineering faculty on various engineering topics. They have successfully launched an opnedX based IIT BombayX MOOC platform. They are actively engaged in enhancing the online and blended MOOC education delivery models and effectiveness and are branching out into supporting education in fields other than engineering.
IIT Bombay is actively involved in central government’s ambitious National Virtual Library project.
In May-June 2019, around 55 interns worked on summer internship projects. The internship projects develop useful software for the above initiatives while simultaneously enabling the participants to fulfil summer internship requirements of their respective academic programs. The feedback shows that the projects go a long way towards career development of the participants. Many pieces of work done by the interns have been publicly launched.
All the work under the summer internship is released under Open Source. Consequently most of the tools and software environment used in our R&D, are also from Open Source Software(OSS). You will thus be working on Ubuntu (a variant of Linux), and using Python, MYSQL/Postgress, JAVA, GCC and other such packages. Even if you do not have adequate exposure to these, you will get ample opportunity to learn them during your internship. You are able to learn fast, and should be able to meaningfully use what you learn. You will be engaged for a period of 7 weeks. Your project leader will evaluate your work at the end of the internship. The department expects everyone to work hard, and successfully complete the assignments well in advance of the last date.
You have to stay within the IIT campus. Hostel accommodation will be made available to you during the period of internship.
IIT Bombay will not be extending any financial support except paying your enrolment fees. You will have to manage expenses during your stay in IIT on your own.
IIT will provide you library reading room facility, and limited access to Gymkhana facilities. A certificate will be issued on successful completion of internship. Kindly note that IIT professors in-charge of the program will seldom give recommendation letters for admission to institutions outside India.
Apply for internship only if you are completing B.Tech./B.E. 3rd year in April/May 2020. Students completing 2nd year, with exceptional academic performance and other achievements may also be considered.
Based on the academic scrutiny, a list of shortlisted candidates will be published first by Friday, 13th March 2020. Any additional information, if required, will be sought from the shortlisted candidates. Within a week, the mandatory programming test will whittle down the numbers. The list of provisionally selected students will be published after the online programming test.
The provisionally selected students will be required to submit scanned copies of the following documents before Monday 6th April 2020:
- A circular form duly signed and stamped by the HoD/Principal/Director of your institute.
- A recommendation letter from your HoD/Principal/Director stating that the college permits the student to undertake the internship during the chosen period.
Internship and stay at IIT Bombay involves some expenditure to be incurred by interns. The approximate amounts are:
- Rs. 10,000/- to be paid to the IIT Bombay academic office (Internship Fees)
- Hostel room rent of approximately Rs. 6000 for the internship period and Rs. 2000 security deposit. The security deposit of Rs. 2000/- will be refunded on confirmation of the vacation of the room and assuring the damage/loss, if any, to the hostel property.
- Students may arrange their own bedding or pay bedding charges directly to the hostel.
- Approximately Rs 150/- per day for food (breakfast, lunch, dinner) in the vacation mess
Of these, the Department will pay Rs. 10,000/- directly to the institute, on your behalf. You will have to bear rest of the expenses on your own.
How to apply
Click here to apply online.
Last date of Registration for Summer Internship 2020 is 01st March 2020.
- Last date of application: Sunday, 01st March 2020
- Intimation of provisional selection list: Friday, 13th March 2020
- Online Programming Test(for Provisionally selected): To be announced
- Final selection list: To be announced
- Reporting for internship (Tentatively on): Monday, 18th May 2020 (for 7 weeks)
- Internship begins: Monday, 18th May 2020
- Submission of report: One week before end of internship
- Evaluation: Last week of internship
- Issuance of certificates: Tuesday, 07th July 2019 (Tentative)
If you have any query, write to email@example.com.
Click here for the official website.
Note: If you are selected for this internship, please share your experience with us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also be interested in:
About the Author
Loved my student life, love talking to students now. I am a wearer of multiple hats (wife, mom, cook, chauffeur). My job is my hobby! :)