India Foundation for the Arts (IFA) in collaboration with Museum of Christian Art (MoCA), Goa invites applications for two IFA-MoCA Creative Projects under its Archives and Museums programme which IFA will implement.
The Archives and Museums programme of IFA has been initiated with a two-fold objective: to provide arts practitioners and researchers an opportunity to generate new, critical, and creative approaches for public engagement with archive and museum collections; and to energise these spaces as platforms for dialogue and discourse.
About the Museum of Christian Art (MoCA), Goa
The Museum of Christian Art, the first of its kind in Asia, was set-up in 1994 in the Seminary of Rachol, in collaboration with the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Portugal and the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH), New Delhi.
The museum was later relocated in 2001 to the Convent of Santa Monica, in one part of the Church, on the Holy Hill, in the vicinity of the UNESCO World Heritage site in Old Goa. Asia’s first and largest convent, it was built between 1606-1627, during the Portuguese presence in Goa.
About the Collection
The museum has an exceptional collection of Indo-Portuguese objects that date as far back as the 16th century. The objects – sculpture, painting, jewellery, embroidery – in materials such as stone, wood, metal, ivory and textiles – cover a variety of genres and styles from different periods of religious imagination.
During the early period of Portuguese rule, images and other objects designed for religious and daily use, were brought to India from Europe. Since these were sent in limited numbers, local Goan artists were commissioned to recreate these European objects to meet the ever-increasing demand.
The resulting work, a synthesis of different cultures, is now widely recognised as Indo-Portuguese art, which is a combination of Christian, Hindu and Islamicate art forms.
About the IFA-MoCA Creative Projects
The IFA-MoCA Creative Projects offer Project Coordinators the opportunity to research this collection over a period of a year, and create public programmes such as exhibitions, talks, workshops, etc. both online and offline, over the project period, which IFA will implement.
- They seek applications from curators, visual artists, researchers and other creative practitioners with a strong interest in research and working with museum collections.
- They also encourage applicants to think through interdisciplinary and collaborative approaches and methods for their public programmes.
- Practitioners who are Indian nationals or have been residents of India consecutively for five years or more are eligible to apply.
- Applicants from Goa will be given preference as the project coordinators will need to spend a considerable amount of time at the museum during the project period.
To know more about eligibility, click here.
Your application must include:
- A proposal briefly describing an exhibition that could be developed from the museum’s collection.The description should include the vision, approach and possible outcomes.
- A brief note on other public programmes that could be developed from the material.
- A detailed budget.
- Your curriculum vitae with a brief description of a project you have been involved with as a curator, arts practitioner, or researcher. This description should comprise the vision, approach, processes, and outcomes that have resulted from that project. Please send us links and not attachments.
- The project costs should not exceed Rs 2,00,000/-.
- You may budget for an honorarium of Rs 12,000/- per month subject to a limit of Rs 1,44,000/- for the entire duration of the project. Please note that the total amount is inclusive of the honorarium.
- Our funds will cover only project-related costs and activities and will not pay for infrastructure costs or equipment purchase.
- Please ensure that each budget category pertains to a specific item of project-related expenditure.
How to Apply?
Considering the current situation, we only accept applications via email. Email your application or any queries to Suman Gopinath at email@example.com.
- The deadline for receiving applications is Tuesday, June 15, 2021.
- Interviews with shortlisted candidates are expected to take place in July 2021.
- The project will commence in July 2021 for a period of one year.