The Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR), invites applications for Doctoral Fellowships for the year 2021-22 from Indian scholars. The research proposal should be in the field of social science discipline or may be interdisciplinary in nature having significant social science content.
Doctoral Fellowships are awarded to selected scholars, who are registered for Ph.D. in UGC recognized institutes of national importance, universities/ deemed universities, ICSSR research institutes and colleges having approved Ph.D. programme with requisite infrastructure as defined by MoE /UGC to pursue and complete their doctoral research in any social science discipline.
The broad disciplines of study within the domain of social sciences identified by ICSSR are:
- Social Work
- Social Anthropology
- Cultural Studies
- Socio-Sanskrit Studies
- Socio-Philosophical Studies
- Social Linguistics
- Gender Studies
- Health Studies
- Political Science
- International Studies
- Public Administration
- Diaspora Studies
- National Security and Strategic Studies
- Social Psychology
- Legal Studies
- Social Geography
- Environmental Studies
- Modern Social History
- Media Studies
- Library Science
ICSSR is providing Doctoral Fellowships under its three ‘Centrally-Administered Doctoral Fellowship Schemes’ and ‘Institutional Doctoral Fellowship Scheme’ in accordance with the prescribed guidelines. In the case of Centrally-Administered Schemes, the fellowships are awarded and monitored directly by ICSSR and the concerned doctoral fellows are affiliated to a university or college. Under the Institutional Fellowship Scheme, the doctoral fellows are affiliated to and monitored by an ICSSR sponsored/ recognized research institute. The scholar can avail anyone of the fellowships under the following categories:
- Centrally Administered Full-Term Doctoral Fellowship
- Institutional Full-Term Doctoral Fellowship (administered by the ICSSR research institutes)
- Centrally Administered Short-Term Doctoral Fellowship
- Centrally Administered Contingency Grant
- The candidate must have a confirmed Ph.D. registration (Research Degree Committee (RDC) approved) at any of the institutions mentioned at 1.1 above on the last date of application. It includes the requirements of clearance of Research Entrance Test (RET); The Ph.D. topic must have been confirmed.
- The candidate must not be more than 40 years of age on the last date of application. There shall be an age relaxation of 5 years for SC/ST/Person with benchmark disability;
- The candidate must have secured a minimum of 45% marks in Graduation and 55% in Post-Graduation or equivalent grades in any social science discipline. Five percent (5%) relaxation of marks will be given to the SC/ST candidates; The submission of Marks Sheet, particularly of Graduation and Post-Graduation is mandatory otherwise the candidate shall be considered as Not Eligible.
- NET/SLET and M. Phil from a recognized university will carry weightage in the assessment of the research proposal. But NET/ SLET qualifications are not mandatory for eligibility purposes. However, the submission of the NET / SLET Certificate is mandatory to secure weightage in assessment.
- Candidates who have already availed UGC Junior Research Fellowship (JRF)/ Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship (RGNF)/ Maulana Azad National Fellowship (MANF)/ ICSSR/ ICAR/ CSIR/ ICPR/ ICMR/ ICHR or any such doctoral fellowship are not eligible to apply.
Duration & Value
The duration of the fellowship is strictly for two years or till the date of Ph.D. submission at the university, whichever is earlier. The value of the fellowship is Rs.20,000/- per month and contingency grant is Rs.20,000 /- per annum.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply online by clicking here. The last date to apply is August 14, 2021.
All scholars are required to keep the hard copies of their application and annexures ready, duly forwarded by the competent authorities of the university /college/ institute so that they may submit the required hard copies, within one week after the completion of the process of screening. It is being done for the sake of convenience of the applicants so that they get more time for preparing the hard copies.
You might also be interested in:
- Visiting Artist Fellowship 2022 by Lakshmi Mittal and Family South Asia Institute at Harvard University [Stipend Rs. 5 L]: Apply Now!
- CERN Senior Applied Fellowship Programme 2021 at Geneva [Stipend Upto Rs. 6.6 L]: Apply by Sep 1