Applications are invited for IBM PhD Fellowship Award 2022-23. Applications will be taken for the 2022-2023 PhD Fellowships October 11 – October 29, 2021.
About IBM PhD Fellowship Award
The IBM PhD Fellowship Awards Program is an intensely competitive worldwide program, which honors exceptional PhD students who want to make their mark in promising and disruptive technologies.
Since 1951, the IBM PhD Fellowship Program has collaborated with faculty, students and universities by recognizing and supporting exceptional PhD students that address focused areas of interest in technology.
Focus areas include the following topics of particular interest:
- Hybrid Cloud
- Quantum Computing / Quantum Systems
- Artificial Intelligence
- Cloud / Open Source Technologies
- Security / Cyber Security
- Data Science
- must be nominated by a doctoral faculty member; students cannot nominate themselves.
- must be enrolled full-time in a PhD program over the two consecutive academic years of the award or forfeit the fellowship.
- must have three years remaining in their program at the time of nomination so the fellowship can be applied to the last two years of study.
- from U.S. embargoed countries are not eligible for the program.
- receiving a comparable fellowship, internship, or support from another company or institution (exception for academic scholarships) during the IBM PhD Fellowship funding period are ineligible for this award.
- must stay in the same program for the duration of the award —no transferring of departments or schools.
Awardees will be selected based upon
- their potential for research excellence. All awardees will have an IBM mentor for the duration of the award period and are strongly encouraged to intern during the first or second year of their award. If All student visas must align with terms of the internship.
- the degree to which the nominees’ research aligns with IBM focus areas. See the FAQ covering focus areas.
- academic standing, publications, and endorsements from faculty advisors and department heads. receiving a comparable fellowship, internship, or support from another company or institution (excepting in the case of academic scholarships).
- Nominating faculty must submit thoroughly developed proposals, remain engaged during the vetting and due diligence process, and use the university domain email address for all correspondence.
Interested candidates can apply via this page from 11 October to 29 October.
Award recipients will be selected based on their overall potential for research excellence, the degree to which their technical interests align with those of IBM, and their progress to-date, as evidenced by publications and endorsements from their faculty advisor and department head.
Faculty submit nominations for the annual IBM PhD Fellowship program in the fall of every year, and exact times may vary from year to year. The 2022 application window will run from October 11 through October 29. Notification of nominee status takes place in early spring and are contingent upon the completion of all required documentation and due diligence requirements.
The 2022 2-year IBM PhD Fellowships are awarded worldwide: the value of the awards vary by the country in which the university is located.
- Awards for universities in the United States are $60,000 in year one; $35,000 in award year two.
- Awards for other countries vary between $6,000 and $25,000 each award year.
You may also be interested in: