Applications are now open for the Ian Parry Scholarship 2021 for Aspiring Photographers. The scholarship is an international photographic competition for young photographers who are either attending a full-time photographic course or are under 24 years of age.
The scholarship exists to find and support the very best young people striving to produce powerful, meaningful photojournalism in a selfie-obsessed world.
Ian Parry was a photojournalist who died while on assignment for The Sunday Times during the Romanian revolution in 1989. He was just 24 years of age. Aidan Sullivan then the pictures editor, and Ian’s friends and family created the Ian Parry Scholarship in order to build something positive from such a tragic death.
The Ian Parry Scholarship is divided into two categories: The Sunday Times Award for Achievement and The Canon Award for Potential.
- Each winner will receive $3,500 towards their chosen project.
- Canon Europe continues to support the Scholarship and loan equipment to the winners.
- Attend a portfolio review day with leading industry experts in London.
- Mentorship Programme: They will offer a year-long personal Mentorship to the winner of The Canon Award for Potential. The 2020 mentor is highly respected photojournalist Jon Jones.
- Both winners will have the opportunity to take part in the Transmissions Programme at Visa Pour L’Image in Perpignan.
- World Press Photo, automatically accepts the winner of the Achievement Award into its final list of nominees for the Joop Swart Masterclass in Amsterdam.
- Your work will appear in The Sunday Times Magazine, our media sponsor.
The international photographic competition is open to young photographers who are either attending a full-time photographic course or are under 24.
The entry criteria for both are the same and the judges will make their decisions based on the individual merits of the entries. Entrants must submit a portfolio and a clear proposal of a project they would undertake if they won the scholarship.
How to Apply?
Candidates applying for the Ian Parry Scholarship should ensure that their application contains the following information:
- Your name, date of birth, permanent address, personal email address, personal telephone number, and if applicable, college, the course title, and course tutor.
- A project description giving us details of the portfolio you have uploaded for this application and 12 extended captions.
- A project proposal telling us how winning the Ian Parry Scholarship and $3500, would enable you to continue with the above project or how it would enable you to start a new photographic project.
- A portfolio of 12 (low resolution) photographs, either a photo essay or individual photos.
- Extended captions for each image as a word document. Please follow the instructions on our submit form carefully.
To apply online, click here. The last date to apply is July 9, 2021.
For full notification, click the link below.