The scholarship department of the Heinrich Böll Foundation grants scholarships to undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students from inside and outside Germany.
We hold the application process twice a year. The application deadline is 1 March and 31 August. Please note: We only accept online applications. The application portal will be opened about 6 weeks before the application deadline.
Please note: We accept only online applications
- Check if you are among the special focus groups in this application round
- Gather information on the application process and the requested documents
- Registerfor the online application portal
- Provide the requested information in the Online Application Portal
- After uploading all of your documents, submit your application before the end of the application deadline
Selection Procedure, Stages and Criteria:
The Heinrich Böll Foundation’s selection procedure for scholarship applicants consists of three stages:
- Submission of written application documents, including a personal reference on your social commitment and an expert reference from a university lecturer or, in the case of school leavers, a schoolteacher. The expert reference, preferably in a sealed envelope, may be submitted with the applications or submitted separately by the referee.
- An interview with a liaison lecturer, usually held at your university or near where you live (telephone interviews may also be held).
- Attendance at a selection workshop in Berlin consisting of a one-to-one interview and a group discussion.
At each stage only a small group is selected for the next stage. You will be informed in writing of the decision reached at each stage of the selection procedure.