Registrations are invited for Grand Challenge on Barrier-less Free-flow Tolling and ITMS by MyGov for the year 2022. The last date of application is 30 April.
The rapid growth in the economy and social development has led to the requirement for road networks in India. India stands at the second position in terms of the length of the road network with more than 5.89 million km length of the road network. This road network transports 64.5% of all goods in the country and 90% of India’s total passenger traffic uses the road network to commute.
Currently, the toll payment at toll plazas is either through cash or through Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) mode. This ETC mode is enabled by RFID based technology, wherein, an RFID sticker (FASTag) is affixed to the windshield of the vehicle, and it is read by an RFID reader equipment installed at the toll plazas.
This toll design is incidence-based tolling where vehicles end up paying toll fares only if they cross a physical toll plaza. In today’s scenario when the businesses are going global and the demand and supply ratio is at a staggering high, the increase in the number of vehicles is not surprising. No doubt that the highway networks are becoming increasingly busier, causing frequent disruption to traffic, especially on highly congested networks.
To address the above problems, IHMCL is exploring the option of a barrier-less free-flow system and Intelligent Traffic Management System in India. The objective of the barrier-less free-flow tolling system is to enable vehicles to cruise through highways without the need to slow down/stop at any tolling points based on the “Pay-as-you-use” concept. It is also envisaged to make National Highways smarter with the implementation of world-class Intelligent Traffic Management systems/solutions to improve the flow of vehicle traffic along with the safety of road users.
With a view to leveraging the innovations by the Indian entrepreneurs and in line with the mission of Digital India, Indian Highways Management Company Limited (IHMCL) seeks to organize Hackathon with Indian start-ups and premier Institutions for cost-effective smart tolling solutions-based barrier-less free-flow tolling system and Intelligent Traffic Management System.
- The Indian Tech start-ups registered with DPIIT, MSMEs, Companies registered under Company Act 1956/2013, Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) firms registered in India can apply.
- The entity must have 51% or more shareholding with Indian citizen or person of Indian origin and should be domiciled in India.
Interested candidates can apply online via this page.
The applications received online will be scrutinized as per following procedure:
- The applications would be scrutinized using a pre-provided template by committee having expertise on the relevant domain area.
- Based on the initial scrutiny, the committee will further provide the list of top 25 applicants each in the field of tolling as well as Intelligent Traffic Management System who will pitch their solutions before a Jury comprising of experts in the respective areas especially constituted to adjudicate the contestants.
- The Jury would shortlist the top 05 applicants for each solution who will be showing the efficacy of their respective solutions for possible integration in providing cost effective solutions to IHMCL. Each shortlisted applicant for the said activity will be rewarded with Rs. 10 Lakh each for covering their Infrastructure, logistics needs and development/integration needs.
- Subsequent to the successful testing of the solution, the Jury will announce winners for both the solutions who will be rewarded with Rs. 25 Lakh each.
Scope of Work
The solutions developed by the interested entities will be used at National Highways/Toll plazas across the nation to improve travel experience of highway users.
- Which Technology shall be used
- System/Equipment used
- How will it work?
- Entire process flow
- Estimated Cost Structure
30 April 2022.
Click here to view the official notification of Grand Challenge on Barrier-less Free-flow Tolling and ITMS by MyGov.
You may also be interested in: