Applications are now open for the Graduate Aptitude Test in Biotechnology (GAT-B) 2020.
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Biotechnology (GAT-B), being conducted by the Regional Centre for Biotechnology on behalf of the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, is the admission eligibility test for DBT-supported PG programs in the various institutions.
The Test is an Eligibility test for admission to DBT-supported PG Programmes in Biotechnology in participating institutions across India: M.Sc. Biotechnology, M.Sc. Agricultural Biotechnology, M.V.Sc., M.Tech. Biotechnology and M.Sc. in allied areas.
Courses Covered under GAT-B
- M.Sc: (Molecular and Human Genetics, Bioinformatics, Bioresources Biotechnology, Molecular, and Human Genetics, Marine Biotechnology Medical Biotechnology)
- M.Tech: (Computational Biology, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Food Biotechnology, Bioprocess Technology, Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering, Marine Biotechnology, Biotechnology with specialization in Industrial Biotechnology).
To view the list of participating institutions under GAT-B, click here.
The examination will be conducted in a single shift for a duration of 180 minutes. The question paper will have two parts:
- Part A: Part A will have 60 compulsory multiple-choice questions of the level of 10+2 in the subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology. Each correct answer will be of one mark each. There will be negative marking and for each wrong answer, ½ (half) mark will be deducted.
- Part B: Part B will have multiple choice questions of bachelor’s level requiring thinking and analysis. There will be questions from basic Biology, Life Sciences, Biotechnology, and allied areas as per the syllabus attached. There will be 100 questions out of which the candidates will have to attempt 60 questions. Each correct answer will have a weightage of 3 marks. There will be negative marking and for each wrong answer, one mark will be deducted.
To appear for the examination, candidates need to possess one of the following:
- B.E/ B.Tech. degree with minimum 50% Marks(45 % in case of candidates belonging to reserved category) in the qualifying examination in any branch of Engineering and Technology OR,
- B.Sc. Biotechnology/ Genetics/Microbiology/ Biochemistry with Chemistry and Zoology as other optional subjects with following percentage of marks: General category: 55%; OBC: 50%; SC, ST & PWD: 40% OR,
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological, Physical, Agricultural, Veterinary and Fisheries Sciences, Pharmacy, Engineering/Technology 4 Years B.Sc. (Physician Assistant Course), M.B.B.S. or B.D.S, with at least 55% marks.
All students admitted under the DBT-supported programs of any participating institution will be paid the stipend as under:
- M.Sc. in Biotechnology & Allied Areas: Rs. 5000/- per month
- M.Sc. in Agricultural Biotechnology: Rs. 7500/- per month
- M.Tech./ M.V.Sc. programs: Rs. 12000/- per month
The continuation of stipend for the second year of the program is subject to satisfactory progress of the student, to be certified by the participating institutions.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply online by clicking here.
This examination is to rank the eligibility of the candidate among all applicants. The candidates will be given a GAT-B rank based on which they may apply to the various DBT-supported PG programs in participating institutions. The participating institutions will advertise and admit students as per their admission & selection process.
- Last Date for Registration: June 18, 2020
- Issue of Admit Card: June 25, 2020
- GAT-B Exam: June 30, 2020
- Display of Question Paper and Answer Key: July 2, 2020
- Declaration of GAT-B rank of Candidates: July 20, 2020
Email ID: email@example.com