*** Previously published on June 22 ***
At present two Central Sector Scholarship schemes of Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship (RGNF) for ST students and Top Class Education for ST Students are implemented by this Ministry to provide financial assistance for pursuing higher education of ST students.
The Fellowship/ Scholarship will be available only to the ST candidates who fulfill the following conditions for the award:
- The candidate belonging to ST should have passed the Post-Graduation examination for being eligible for the Fellowship. The candidate should get admission and registration for regular and full time M.Phil/Ph.D Courses in University / Academic Institutions recognized by UGC under Section 2 (f) of the UGC Act / ICAR by fulfilling conditions of admission of that University/Instituion.
- The ST students once considered eligible for the Fellowship shall not be entitled for any other scholarship of the Centre or State Government the same study.
- The fellowship shall be payable once the student has secured admission and started the research work.
- In order to qualify for Senior Research Fellowship a candidate will have to fulfill the UGC/ICAR norms prescribed in this regard.
- ST students who have secured admission in the notified Institutions according to the norms prescribed by the respective Institutions will be eligible for the scholarship under the scheme.
- The total family income of the candidate to be eligible for this scholarship from all sources should not exceed Rs.4.50 lakh per annum.
- The scholarship will become payable immediately after a student has secured admission and has started attending the classes.
- The scholarship awarded, will continue till the completion of the course, subject to satisfactory performance of the student.
The rate of Fellowship for JRF and SRF will be at par with the UGC/ICAR Fellowships as the case may be as amended from time to time. In addition, HRA will be paid as per UGC norm and for physically/visually handicapped candidates, escorts/reader assistants will be given at the prescribed rate.
Under the scheme, the ST students will be awarded a scholarship to meet the requirements for:
- Full tuition fee and other non-refundable dues in respect of Government/Government-funded institutions. However, there will be a ceiling of Rs.2.00 lakhs per annum per student for private sector institutions;
- Living expenses will be provided as per actuals subject to maximum ceiling of Rs. 2200/- per month per student; 9
- Books and stationery @ Rs.3000/- per annum per student;
- Cost of a latest computer along with its accessories limited to Rs. 45,000/- as one time assistance during the course.
For more details, please visit this link.