The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is an established national initiative, funded by the Department of Education and Skills and managed by the Council.
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is unique in the Irish research landscape and complements other channels for funded postgraduate education in the Irish eco-system. Among its features are:
- individual, prestigious awards for excellent research in the name of the applicant;
- an objective selection process using international, independent expert peer review;
- funding across all disciplines, from archaeology to zoology;
- awards for bottom-up, non-directed research, with the exception of those funded by our strategic funding partners.
The program provides outstanding students with the opportunity to direct their own research at the early-career stage, working with a supervisor, in their chosen area of interest. Pioneering proposals addressing new and emerging fields of research or those introducing creative, innovative approaches are welcomed.
Proposals of an interdisciplinary nature are also encouraged as it is recognized that advancing fundamental understanding is achieved by integrating information, techniques, tools, and perspectives from two or more disciplines.
- a stipend of €16,000 per annum
- a contribution to fees, including non-EU fees, up to a maximum of €5,750 per annum
- eligible direct research expenses of €2,250 per annum
- must have a first-class or upper second-class honors bachelor’s, or the equivalent, degree2. If undergraduate examination results are not known at the time of application, the Council may make a provisional offer of a scholarship on condition that the scholar’s bachelor’s, or the equivalent, degree result is a first-class or upper second-class honors. If a scholar does not have a first-class or upper second-class honors bachelor’s, or the equivalent, degree, they must possess a master’s degree.
- must not have had two previous unsuccessful applications to the program, including strategic partner themes;
- must not have had two previous ineligible applications to the program, including strategic partner themes;
- in the case of applications for a research master’s, must not currently hold, or have previously held, a Council scholarship;
To apply online, click here.
The last date to apply is September 31, 2019.
- Applicant deadline: October 31, 2019
- Call outcome: End of March 2020
- Scholarship start date: September 1, 2020
Email ID: email@example.com.