Applications are invited from eligible candidates for the Google Research Scholar Program 2022 for Early Careers Professors.
About Google Research Scholar Program
The Research Scholar Program aims to support early-career professors who are pursuing research in fields relevant to Google.
The Research Scholar Program provides unrestricted gifts to support research at institutions around the world, and is focused on funding world-class research conducted by early-career professors.
They encourage submissions from professors globally who are teaching at universities and meet the eligibility requirements. It is our hope that this program will help develop collaborations with new professors and encourage the formation of long-term relationships.
Awards are disbursed as unrestricted gifts to the university and are not intended for overhead or indirect costs. They are intended for use during the academic year in which the award is provided to support the professor’s research efforts.
Supporting cutting-edge research
Proposals are selected through an internal review process. Applicants will be notified of their proposal status within four months of the initial submission. We ask applicants to categorize their proposals into one of the following areas of interest to Google in Computer Science and related fields:
- Algorithms and optimization
- Augmented and virtual reality
- Cooling and power
- Health research
- Human-computer interaction
- Information retrieval and real time content
- Machine learning and data mining
- Machine perception
- Machine translation
- Natural language processing
- Quantum computing
- Software engineering and programming languages
- Structured data, extraction, semantic graph, and database management
- Systems (hardware and software)
- A full-time assistant, associate, or full professor at a university or degree-granting research institution.
- Post doctoral staff can only serve as a co-PI, not a primary PI.
- Applicants must have received their PhD within seven years of submission (e.g. applicant in 2021 must have received PhD in 2014 or later).
- We consider exceptions for applicants who have been teaching seven years or fewer and had delays, such as working in industry, parental leave, leave of absence, etc. This exception request can be documented on the application.
- Applicants can submit one application per round.
- Faculty can only serve as a PI or Co-PI per round. Applicants cannot serve on two separate proposals.
- Applicants can apply a maximum of 3 times within the 7 years post-PhD.
The funds granted will be up to $60,000 USD and are intended to support the advancement of the professor’s research.
How to Apply?
Interested participants can apply for the program through this link.
Dec 1, 2021