Submissions are open for the Goethe Institut Upcycling Competition 2021.
About the Organization
The Goethe-Institut is a non-profit German cultural association operational worldwide with 159 institutes, promoting the study of the German language abroad and encouraging international cultural exchange and relations.
Around 246,000 people take part in these German courses per year. The Goethe-Institut fosters knowledge about Germany by providing information on German culture, society and politics.
Goethe Institut Upcycling Competition 2021
The Goethe-Instituts in the Sub-Saharan Africa Region support the creative exploration of the topic of upcycling and want to contribute to sustainability through various measures. We are therefore launching this Goethe-Upcycling Call for ideas.
The theme for this year’s World Library and Information Congress is “Working together for the future”. We know that collaboration breeds innovation. Many great inventions have come from linking existing ideas. Libraries create analogue and digital spaces that bring creative people together to work on the challenges facing our societies and find solutions together. Two of these challenges are Sustainable Living and Generating Revenue for Start-ups in the Cultural and Creative Industries. Our Upcycling workshop aims to address these two themes.
Upcycling (“up” and Recycling / “Reuse”) is the process of transforming waste or (apparently) useless materials into products of new value. In contrast to downcycling, this form of recycling results in the recovery of materials. By reusing and converting used materials, unusual and everyday objects will be creatively redesigned and thus upgraded or brought into a different context
How It Works:
- There are no restrictions on theme or content. The focus is on the theme of upcycling and the creative process. The new objects or library or community projects to be designed can serve a practical and/or purely artistic purpose. Mostly recycled materials and only a few new materials should be used.
- A Jury consisting of representatives from the field of upcycling, cultural and creative industries, among others, will select the 8 best ideas, the realisation of which will be financially supported with 1.000 Euros.
- The presentation of the submissions and the winners will be done digitally, subject to Corona. A maximum of two projects ideas can be submitted per participant.
- Open to all creative people, Librarians, Craftsmen, Artists, Designers and anyone who has a good idea that meets the competition criteria.
How to participate?
To apply, participants are invited to submit the following documents:
- A presentation poster with pictures, drawings, collages of the object or a description of the upcycling project…).
- Simplified curriculum vitae, if necessary with other work in PDF
- Cost estimate for the creation of the object or the realisation of the project
- A statement/description of the object/project with text and video
- Applications must be submitted in digital form only. By submitting your application, you give the Goethe-Institut permission to publish all entries on its websites and social media. (All participants automatically agree to this rule when submitting.)
The deadline for submissions is 15th September 2021.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: +264 61 225 700