Students interested to explore a wide range of challenging & interesting questions can participate in the Global Essay Competition 2021 by John Locke Institute.
About the Competition
The John Locke Institute encourages young people to cultivate the characteristics that turn good students into great writers: independent thought, depth of knowledge, clear reasoning, critical analysis, and persuasive style. The Essay Competition invites students to explore a wide range of challenging and interesting questions beyond the confines of the school curriculum.
Entering an essay in our competition can build knowledge, and refine skills of argumentation. It also gives students the chance to have their work assessed by experts. All of our essay prizes are judged by senior academics from the University of Oxford. The judges will choose their favorite essay from each subject category and an overall ‘best essay’ across seven subjects.
Philosophy, Politics, Economics, History, Psychology, Theology and Law.
- There is a prize for the best essay in each category.
- The prize for each winner of a subject category, and the winner of the Junior category, is a scholarship worth US$2000 towards the cost of attending any John Locke Institute programme, and the essays will be published on the Institute’s website.
- The prize-giving ceremony will take place in Oxford, at which winners and runners-up will be able to meet the judges and other faculty members of the John Locke Institute. Family, friends, and teachers are also welcome, subject to capacity constraints.
- The candidate who submits the best essay overall will be awarded an honorary John Locke Institute Junior Fellowship, which comes with a US$10,000 scholarship to attend one or more of our summer schools and/or gap year courses.
- Each essay should address only one of the questions in your chosen subject category, and must not exceed 2000 words (not counting diagrams, tables of data, footnotes, bibliography, or authorship declaration).
- The details of the questions on seven categories are given on the official link below.
Who can Enter?
- Entry is open to students from any country and any school.
- Candidates must be eighteen years old, or younger, on the date of the submission deadline, 30 June 2021. (Candidates for the Junior Prize must be fourteen years old, or younger, on the date of the submission deadline.)
Essays will be judged on the level of knowledge and understanding of the relevant material, the competent use of evidence, the quality of argumentation, the structure, writing style, and persuasive force. Candidates are advised to answer the question as precisely and directly as possible.
How to apply?
- Interested students have to submit their essay, saved in pdf format, through this link.
- The title of the pdf attachment should read SURNAME, First Name (e.g. POPHAM, Alexander).
- Last Date for Submission: June 30, 2021
- Short-listed candidates notified: July 14, 2021
- Winners will be announced: September at the award ceremony in Oxford (date to be advised).
Click here to view the official notification for the Global Essay Competition 2021 by John Locke Institute
- Stories For Survival Competition 2021 by Explorers Against Extinction [Prize Rs.10k Book Vouchers]: Submit by June 30
- Creative Writing Competition 2021 by CBSE & NCERT for Class 6-12 Students: Register by July 30